Can someone please look at my numbers to see if they are in range? I am experiencing connections issues. Comcast has been doing a lot of work in my neighborhood. Everytime my numbers get worse. Thanks.
|Channel||Lock Status||Modulation||Channel ID||Frequency||Power||SNR||Corrected||Uncorrectables|
|1||Locked||QAM256||9||345000000 Hz||12.3 dBmV||40.2 dB||27||0|
|2||Locked||QAM256||1||297000000 Hz||13.3 dBmV||40.5 dB||7||0|
|3||Locked||QAM256||2||303000000 Hz||14.1 dBmV||41.1 dB||7||0|
|4||Locked||QAM256||3||309000000 Hz||13.2 dBmV||40.6 dB||2||0|
|5||Locked||QAM256||4||315000000 Hz||12.2 dBmV||40.2 dB||10||0|
|6||Locked||QAM256||5||321000000 Hz||12.6 dBmV||40.3 dB||17||0|
|7||Locked||QAM256||6||327000000 Hz||11.9 dBmV||40.2 dB||11||0|
|8||Locked||QAM256||7||333000000 Hz||11.5 dBmV||40.0 dB||23||0|
|9||Locked||QAM256||8||339000000 Hz||12.8 dBmV||40.3 dB||27||0|
|10||Locked||QAM256||10||351000000 Hz||10.7 dBmV||39.9 dB||34||0|
|11||Locked||QAM256||11||357000000 Hz||11.0 dBmV||40.1 dB||43||0|
|12||Locked||QAM256||12||363000000 Hz||11.4 dBmV||40.1 dB||34||0|
|13||Locked||QAM256||13||369000000 Hz||9.8 dBmV||39.6 dB||57||0|
|14||Locked||QAM256||14||375000000 Hz||10.5 dBmV||39.6 dB||63||0|
|15||Locked||QAM256||15||387000000 Hz||10.0 dBmV||39.7 dB||68||0|
|16||Locked||QAM256||16||393000000 Hz||10.6 dBmV||39.9 dB||73||0|
|Channel||Lock Status||US Channel Type||Channel ID||Symbol Rate||Frequency||Power|
|1||Locked||ATDMA||2||5120 Ksym/sec||29200000 Hz||37.5 dBmV|
|2||Locked||ATDMA||1||5120 Ksym/sec||35600000 Hz||38.7 dBmV|
|3||Locked||ATDMA||3||5120 Ksym/sec||22800000 Hz||37.5 dBmV|
|4||Locked||ATDMA||4||5120 Ksym/sec||16400000 Hz||37.4 dBmV|
Solved! Go to Solution.
Intermittent in nature. Devices seeming to disconnect but still showing connecting fine with the router. Echo dots stating having problem connecting to internet but then working fine a second later. Almost like a death of 1000 cuts. Sometimes just sluggish. I have tried different cable modems and 6 different routers. Normally when I reboot the cable modem, I am locked to different frequencies like 507 that are closer to 0 in power. After an hour or so my connection seems to hang for a second then I check the cable modem and am on different frequencies with higher power levels like in my picture. Checking the event log, I get a T3 error that seems to correspond to the changing of the frequency.
Comcast has been doing a LOT of work in my area. I had no such problems until they started working in this area. My upload power was always 40 and above. Now it is always below 40.