Community Forum

CGM4140COM xFi Gateway connection to home network

New Poster

CGM4140COM xFi Gateway connection to home network

When connecting a computer to one of the ports on the CGM4140COM gateway the speed is 400+Mbps. When connecting my home network thru a router the speed is reduced into the 20Mbps range. The router is an older wireless-2.4 GHz Broadband 54Mbps. What replacement would provide higher (400+Mbps) speeds on my home network? Thanks, Paul

Expert

Re: CGM4140COM xFi Gateway connection to home network

As an FYI,  if you are hanging a stand-alone / separate router off of the gateway device, and the gateway is not in *bridge mode*, you are cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network.

Google "double NAT" for info about its potential pitfalls. You really should put it in to bridge mode.

Here is an excellent site for researching routers;

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

Use a switch instead? Do you need that old router for the amount of ports?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Only using the old router because it's there. What kind of switch would provide the higher speeds like the direct connected PC? Need two ports right now maybe a few more later. thanks, Paul

New Poster

Thanks, will check out the links from you. thanks, Paul

Expert

@PauloV wrote:

What kind of switch would provide the higher speeds like the direct connected PC? Need two ports right now maybe a few more later. thanks, Paul

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Protection-GS105NA/dp/B0000BVYT3

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for the link, was looking at this switch before knowing what would work.