Community Forum

CGM4140COM Internet lost when bridge mode enabled

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

CGM4140COM Internet lost when bridge mode enabled

I "Upgraded" my Comcast Xfinity gateway modem yesterday to the CGM4140COM version that I was told would allow me to get faster service.

While I'm still not getting 1 Gigabit download that's not the issue. I prefer to use my own modem so after getting the new one setup I enabled the bridge mode and BOOM down went my internet service. I did a hard reset on the modem and set everything up again. As soon as I enabled the bridge mode again, down went my internet service.

I used my old Comcast gateway modem with bridge mode enable for years without an issue. So, what's going on? Do I need to go back to the store and get another one? If it's a firmware issue then that won't help. Does it hurt to have both the gateway modem and my own modem broadcasting at the same time? I thought I recall that it caused some issues before but I don't remember what it was. I don't do any gaming, just normal internet and streaming.

I saw a bunch of posts from 2017 on this forum on this issue but none recently. Anyone out there have the same issue with this gateway modem and a solution?

Tim 

Expert

Re: CGM4140COM Internet lost when bridge mode enabled

Did you power cycle it after you put it in bridge mode ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!