Community Forum

Buying my own modem

New Poster

Buying my own modem

I want to buy my own modem so that I can save money.  I see the same equipment used my xfinity for sale on ebay for $57.  I pay $13 per month equipment rental.  It should pay for itself in 5 months.  However there is a whole bunch of warning on ebay that xfinity might not accept the use of a modem that is not owned by them.  How do you know if comcast will accept the equipment?  It is the same model I use now, the cisco dpc3941t docsis 3.0.  It also suggest that I use  register.xfinity.com to determine ahead of time if the equipment can be use, but I'm worried about disconecting or messing up the modem I have now by trying to see if this ebay will work.  Can you help clarify how to verify if the equipment will work?  Thanks so much!

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Buying my own modem

Those gateways that you see are basically Comcast equipment that was never returned. You can’t get away from the rental charges even if you buy one and put it on your account.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@Throstle wrote:

I want to buy my own modem so that I can save money.  I see the same equipment used my xfinity for sale on ebay for $57.  I pay $13 per month equipment rental.  It should pay for itself in 5 months.  However there is a whole bunch of warning on ebay that xfinity might not accept the use of a modem that is not owned by them.  How do you know if comcast will accept the equipment?  It is the same model I use now, the cisco dpc3941t docsis 3.0.  It also suggest that I use  register.xfinity.com to determine ahead of time if the equipment can be use, but I'm worried about disconecting or messing up the modem I have now by trying to see if this ebay will work.  Can you help clarify how to verify if the equipment will work?  Thanks so much!

See if this helps:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Video-How-to-purchase-your-own-modem-and-router-for-...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@Throstle wrote:

FWIW, one should be careful if buying used modems on sites like ebay. Many times they wind up being classified in Comcast's database as having been stolen / unreturned and CC won't provision them for service. To be safe, buy only brand new modems in their original packaging from reputable retailers.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!