Community Forum

Buy your own Cable Modem Router ???

Contributor

Buy your own Cable Modem Router ???

Anyone purchased their own equipment to avoid my new $14 amonth rental. Found several but looking for best pricing on one that actually works. I need the phone connection because Xfinity wants to increase my bill everytime I try to cancel my landline.

Thanks for any advice.

Expert

Re: Buy your own Cable Modem Router ???

Here is their official "Approved Devices" list;

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/customerinfo

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Thanks, have you tried any of these ??

Expert

Yes. What speed tier are you subscribed to ? Do you want a straight cable modem with phone capability, or a combo modem / router / phone capable gateway device ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

I would get it from the Approved List.  Also beware of buying used devices because

their MAC address might already by registrated and might give you problems.

As for the one I bought,  I went ahead and bought at plain Zoom cable modem without the router built in because I have a unique network setup.   But I would start with the Approved List if I wasnt so picky .

Expert

They need an eMTA capable device whether they use the phone service or not because a regularly scheduled Comcast audit will show that they are not using one.

Regular Contributor

Yes, I recently switched cables modems to one in the Approved Devices list.  That worked great for me!

Expert

What does that have to do with my point about them needing an eMTA ? And I already gave them the link to the approved list. No one should ever deviate from that...

Contributor

@EG wrote:
Yes. What speed tier are you subscribed to ? Do you want a straight cable modem with phone capability, or a combo modem / router / phone capable gateway device ?

Not sure what I want or  need as I never replaced one. What I have now is the Arris Router/Modem combo with telephone connection. Its an Arris TG1682G. Seems to work fine but cost $14 a month. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Expert

I would recommend this one;

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Internet-C7100V-services/dp/B01M1AOEDA

Contributor

Expert

Quite welcome !