Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Bridged TG1682G wan port stuck at 10/100 MBPS

Frequent Visitor

Bridged TG1682G wan port stuck at 10/100 MBPS

Hi,

Recently I have replaced my modem for the 5th time in 2 years. I did this 2 weeks ago. After about a week with my 6th modem and having spent 4 hours on the phone talking with Comcast, I am now having more issues.

I have my own personal router, the prestigious Nighthawk R7000 from Netgear. Checking the admin interface, I noticed that the WAN port was detecting only 10/100 MBPS speed. I immediately knew then that there was a problem. I did my usual network diagnosis, ruling out every possible issue that there could be. I replaced all my CAT6 cables with new RJ45 heads. I tested each cable and none failed the tests. Then, I ruled out my router as, and I believe that most experts would agree on this, the R7000 is pretty dang reliable.

If the problem isn't the cables or the router, then this leaves one thing left: the modem. Considering the circumstances, to me it makes sense.

This leads me to my question, which is how the heck am I able to force the modem to output 10/100/1000 MBPS in bridge mode? I mean c'mon, I'm paying for 150 down/25 up to only be getting 100 down and 25 up?Obviously SSH would be a breeze to get this solved, but that's not possible. And no I don't want to not keep the modem in bridge mode.

If anyone is out there able to shed some light on this situation, that would be greatly appreciated! Though, I do hope to get this solved without having to get my own modem.

Thank you in advance,
The_Pickmeister

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: Bridged TG1682G wan port stuck at 10/100 MBPS

Found out that I had high noise levels with the modem. I swapped it out with a new one and everything works great! Thanks everyone for your help!

All Replies
Expert

Which Comcast modem do you have?

Frequent Visitor

As stated in the thread topic, I have the TG1682G, otherwise known as the XB3 modem
Expert

What speeds do you get directly connected to the modem via ethernet?

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
Expert

@The_Pickmeister wrote:

And no I don't want to not keep the modem in bridge mode.

Not sure what the problem is but as an FYI, the 1682 really should always be kept in bridge mode if you are going to hang a stand-alone router off of it. Cascading two devices that have routing functions results in having a double NAT condition on your home network. You can Google for "double NAT" to see info about its potential pitfalls.

Frequent Visitor

@The_Janitor@nerdburg wrote:

What speeds do you get directly connected to the modem via ethernet?

Well, I'm assuming that you are wanting me to check the speeds from a desktop when the modem isn't in bridge mode. For the meantime, here is a picture of what I see on the modem.

Screenshot_2018-03-18-13-07-02.png
Frequent Visitor

I power cycled the modem yesterday and that didn't fix the problem. Could it possibly be that the provision file got messed up?
Expert

@The_Pickmeister wrote:
I power cycled the modem yesterday and that didn't fix the problem. Could it possibly be that the provision file got messed up?

No clue; call 1800comcast and ask for a network agent.

(My TG1682G has 1000 and it is bridged)

Silver Problem Solver

Give the reset button on the back of the gateway a quick 2 sec press, using a pen tip.

Did you try connecting direct to a PC (with a gigabit NIC) as suggested above? What do you get on a speedtest?

(If still in bridge mode you would have to give the device a quick reset as mentioned, when changing the device directly connected).

Expert

@The_Pickmeister wrote:

FWIW, the 25 Mbps that you are getting for the upload speed would seem to indicate that it is not a provisioning / boot file issue. The 100 Mbps "LAN / Ethernet Port #1 connection speed" indicated in your screenshot seems to point to a port negotiation issue.

Frequent Visitor

I think you may be right. Let me check to see what I get from my Gigabit desktop and will update you ASAP.
Frequent Visitor

On my desktop, when directly connected, I get the right speeds. 150 down 25 up.
Expert

Is it currently in bridge mode ? This could possibly some kind of a firmware glitch with the 1682 ?

Frequent Visitor

Just took it out but was going to put it back in
Frequent Visitor

How am I supposed to figure out if there is a firmware glitch? Well, I guess one hint could be that I don't see my router under connected devices.
Expert

@The_Pickmeister wrote:
How am I supposed to figure out if there is a firmware glitch? Well, I guess one hint could be that I don't see my router under connected devices.

Sorry if there is a misunderstanding. I didn't ask you to figure it out. I was only making a comment about the possibility. We have seen many many weird firmware glitches over the years here with the CC supplied firmware loads. It's a pattern IMO.

Frequent Visitor

Any way to fix it? Or is there any way you can get in the system and change the port setting?
Frequent Visitor

Its just weird that my lan devices show Gigabit connections but my wan connection doesn't.
Frequent Visitor

Any ideas on what to do? Haven't heard from someone in over 24 hours. I really need this fixed because I'm paying Comcast to provide me with Extreme 150 and I am not getting what I'm paying for. Starting to get unhappy with this whole thing.

Expert

I would call Comcast and ask them to see if they can push an update to your XB3.

Frequent Visitor

Found out that I had high noise levels with the modem. I swapped it out with a new one and everything works great! Thanks everyone for your help!