Community Forum

Bridge modem

Regular Contributor

Bridge modem

Am I better off bridging the Comcast router and using my own or using theirs?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Bridge modem

@npd424 wrote:

It all depends; I have a residence that affects wifi (no problems with ethernet-connected devices).

My XB6 Gateway just wasn't capable of providing a usable wifi signal in all rooms, so I purchased the Orbi and two Orbi satellites and installed them and I have good wifi coverage now.  In order to use the Orbi, I put the XB6 in Bridge Mode, which turned off the XB6 wifi bands.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@npd424 wrote:

Power users prefer their own router as it gives you a lot more control over your network. The Comcast gateways are designed for the average consumer that has no interest in changing advances settings. The xFi is app has pretty sweet integration with the Xfinity gateways and allows consumers a lot of easy ways to manage their networks. However, if you are an advanced user (or plan on becoming one) the gateway interface/xFi will be extremely annoying.  Consider purchasing your own modem and router --You'll have more control and you'll save $13/month.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I should have mentioned I have the triple play so need telephony therefore the gateway with modem,  router and phone.

I think, b/c of the phone I may need the gateway which has all three.

I was hoping to use my own router but don't see how rhis can simply be done if I have all three services.

Expert

The phone modem component still functions when a gateway device is placed into bridge mode.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!