Community Forum

Bridge mode, want to turn wifi off on Comcast TG1682G

Contributor

Bridge mode, want to turn wifi off on Comcast TG1682G

I have a TG1682G and get comcast included with an HOA deal, so I am not paying for it.  But I needed more features, so I installed my own router behind it, setting bridge mode.  I also turned off the "xfinitywifi" and "XFINITY" feature (took about 30 hours to go away). 

But both wifi ranges are still on, and offer a non-broadcast SSID protected with WPA2/802.1x.  Actually looks like two under 5ghz and one under 2.4ghz.  

What are these for?

Can they be turned off? 

Even though I have set my channel well away from them, sitting 6" from my router having these active cannot be helpful.

I expected them to go away when I turned off the xfinitywifi/XFINITY ones.

Thanks for any insight.

Linwood

PS. Yes, I could put in my own modem to get them to go away, but there's a certain advantage to using Comcast equipment for that, any arguments will not start with "you are not using approved equipment" and they will pay to fix it if it breaks.  

Expert

Re: Bridge mode, want to turn wifi off on Comcast TG1682G

@LinwoodFerguson wrote:

But both wifi ranges are still on, and offer a non-broadcast SSID protected with WPA2/802.1x.  Actually looks like two under 5ghz and one under 2.4ghz.  

What are these for?

Can they be turned off? 

They are "Hidden" broadcasts intended to be used with Xfinity home security systems. And AFAIK, they can no longer be disabled.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!