Community Forum

Bridge mode on Arris TG3482G?

Expert

Re: Bridge mode on Arris TG3482G?

@Wolfman92 wrote:

As an FYI, I went back to XB3 for a week or so but had Comcast back out and they replaced my XB6 with a new one, made sure I had x.208 firmware, no MoCA, and Bridging isn't enabled running with a Netgear Orbi router and all is good with no reboots after a full day! <knock on wood>

FWIW, it may be working that way but now you are cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network.

Google "double NAT" for info about it's potential pitfalls.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

MY SUGGETION IS TO NOT USE THIS TG3482G (and probably other Comcast routers as well) IN BRIDGE MODE.  Details below.

After having my TG3482G in "stable" bridge mode for around two weeks (you can see my posts above), I have aborted using this bridged router altogether.

I had been using software version 2.0.2.208.

With the TG3482G I had a problem where doing specific UDP transfers were slowing down to a very consistent crawl at 2.1 Mbps (which should be at 40 Mbps).  While this was happening, the network was also very unresponsive, with both high ping times and high traceroute times to my destination.  But only while doing these UDP transfers.

I, as well as my IT dept at work thought that perhaps Comcast was throttling these transfers somehow.  That was not the case.  Comcast does have some congestion controls, but it is actually possible to go to a website and look up if anything has been applied to your connection.  They had not done any controls to my account.  Comcast does not throttle per protocol.  They may block a few ports, but they are clearly published.

These slow transfers persisted across two different machines, and even when the modem in bridge mode was hooked directly up to one of my machines.

I then purchased an Arris SB8200, had Comcast provision it, and presto, problem gone!  Those same UDP transfers are now at roughly 40 Mbps changing nothing whatsoever 'cept the modem.

Strange thing is, I also tested at a relative's home -- he also had his Comcast router in bridge mode (yet this was a different Comcast router), and he also experienced the exact same 2.1 Mbps crawl at his apartment when I tested the same transfer.

In any case, I have given up with bridge mode on Comcast routers.

I've now lost my Xfinity voice capability, but I will purchase an Arris TM822R, run separate coax to it, and have them provision it as voice only -- this is supposedly possible, and there are others with this strategy.

-- madison

Expert

@madison437 wrote:

but I will purchase an Arris TM822R, run separate coax to it, and have them provision it as voice only -- this is supposedly possible, and there are others with this strategy.

Bear in mind that there *may still* be one caveat to owning your own eMTA or gateway device that supports their phone service. YMMV. I always advise (until I'm told otherwise officially) that the first thing you should do is to call in or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC. The personnel that work there seem to better know what the actual local franchise's policies really are than do support reps at the national 800 number.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for this bit of advice!

-- madison

Expert

Quite welcome !

Frequent Visitor

Had my install on 8/16 for gig

System Software Version

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:2.0.2.208
Software Image Name:TG3482_2.3p20s2_PROD_sey
Advanced Services:TG3482G
Packet Cable:2.0

Everything works fine with bridge mode disabled either using the TG3482G as a router or double NAT behind my router.

Turning bridge mode on my router (pfsense) will pick up an external IP and work for approx 1-2 hours before the pfsense will lose connection. rebooting the comcast router or my firewall will not fix it until I disable bridge mode and re-enable again which will fail again in 1-2 hours.

O and btw - If you get the wireless Xi5-p like I did... turning on bridge mode kills the wireless that the xi5 uses and pretty much renders them useless as they refuse to pick up any other wireless SSID. I'm sure i can throw ethernet bridges and each device which i'm willing to do if i could just get the bridge mode to be stable.

If anyone has any ideas i'm all ears.

Frequent Visitor

Did you ever get the VPN working on this? I have the XB6 in Bridged Mode and my R7000 router is passing traffic and has internet which is great. The issue I am having is I still for the life of me can not get VPN working.

New Poster

Okay guys.  After exausting rounds of research and testing, I believe I found a solution to this problem.  The problem lies with the Arris switch built in the modem.  They are known to be faulty as they sometimes can't communicate properly with WAN ports on some routers (the WAN ports in certain routers could also be the culprit).  I know this sounds like a simple solution but it absolutely works.  You must use a gigabit switch in between the modem/gateway and your router.  You must also be sure that you are using the ethernet port located on the right side of the modem (if you are looking at it from the back) as I believe bridge mode keeps only 1 port active when it is enabled.  Since they weren't smart enough to number them, the one on the right is port #1.  That's it.  If you don't have a gigabit switch, you can easily order one on Amazon.  The switch will clean up the ethernet signals and allow them to talk to each other.  

If you hook up the switch before you turn bridge mode on, you won't even have to reboot the modem as everything will work as designed.  After bridge mode is enabled, you may want to access the portal for your router and release and renew the IP address in the internet settings until it picks up and IP address.   This is a hardware issue.  Not an issue with the software. I usually never post in these but I can undestand the frustration of paying for this service and not being able to use VPN for work.  Good luck!

New Poster

Is this gigabit switch solution only for bridge mode?  I am severely annoyed as having same issues connecting to work computer through VPN on my separate gigabit router but don't want to have to use bridge mode and lose the wifi gateway.  

New Poster

On the web console for the router for Arris TG3482G, bridge mode is on Gateway --> At a Glance --> Bridge Mode (Enable or Disable)

Open your browser to the default IP 10.0.0.1

Frequent Visitor

Madison did you ever get the phone only modem working? I could not the xb6 on bridge mode with my gt-ac5300 to get VPN speeds over 10mbps up and down. I then installed an arris sb8200 and get VPN speeds of 50 up and down. This is 5 times the speed with the only change being the modem. The issue is comcast will not let me return the xb6. They are saying I need phone capabilities.

If I drop to double play my bill goes up over 30 more per month. I am at a loss and the only thing I can think of is a cheap phone only modem running in tandem with my sb8200.
New Poster

I paid to have Xfinity install (11/30/2017) even though I've successfully installed/activated more than one in the past. Much to the chagrin of the service tech, it took him almost three hours to get the 3482 activated and put into bridge mode.

The reason was simple and he only found it when an Xfinity supervisor in their call-in installation tech service was found who knew the answer. It seems that some of the early 3482's had been released to installation with a firmware that had the bridge mode option removed.

Xfinity on-line service downloaded a new firmware and that version it had the option to put the modem into bridge mode and problem solved.

I don't know the firmware number that was downloaded but I listened to the call and this isn't a rare occurance. Eventually, all the old firmware versions will get installed and the new ones have the correct F/W.  

Frequent Visitor

i am having this same issue, going to try to get a switch for my SB8200 modem to the x6 netgear wifi router. but in the meantime i have an xb6 coming in the mail to me in case the switch doesnt fix the sb8200 problem, i feel i wasted $180+ bux on this modem. never have consisnetent speeds and constant dropping of connection.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

To provide an update

My speed kept dropping and not staying connected using this box in bridge mode

I got rid of the box and switched to a netgear cm1000 which is supported my xfinity for gigabit

From there told xfinity home to come out and put in a special router (basically a modified wireless netgear router that vpns into the home infrastructure) that allows for xfinity home to work

Working great ever since...
Expert

@brandonmerc wrote:
Madison did you ever get the phone only modem working? I could not the xb6 on bridge mode with my gt-ac5300 to get VPN speeds over 10mbps up and down. I then installed an arris sb8200 and get VPN speeds of 50 up and down. This is 5 times the speed with the only change being the modem. The issue is comcast will not let me return the xb6. They are saying I need phone capabilities.

If I drop to double play my bill goes up over 30 more per month. I am at a loss and the only thing I can think of is a cheap phone only modem running in tandem with my sb8200.

FYI, I finally gave up on my XB6-A , as I had it in bridge mode for months now with my ASUS RT-AC68P and was still lagging and jittering like crazy. Bought a new SB8200 from Best Buy for Gigabit and an old TM722G for voice only on Amazon (for a bargain $30), and used Comcast chat support to activate them. You might actually be able to activate even older eMTA modems as I remember a couiple of them still on Comcast's supported list. 

My network is working great now, plus with the added benefit of being able to stash the phone-only TM722G in the guest bedroom closet, freeing up desk space. Even better, I don't have to pay the lease fee anymore, and my wife can now play Final Fantasy XV without lag.... Cat LOL

I feel like Comcast should trash every Intel chipset version of this modem and only give customers the Broadcomm one. 

Regular Visitor

Yikes...spent the last two days trying to get all my wireless stuff going with this router.  Finally, in desperation I took the advice of other posters to this thread regarding the Arris SB8200 modem with the Nighthawk 7000 for your wireless router needs.  I read somewhere once that the modem/router combos aren't the best way to go.  This appears to be true for both port forwarding and speed.

Now my Arris SB8200 and Netgear Nighthawk 7000, while a bit expensive to replace the rental Comcast TG3482G, are working seamlessly.  The download speeds are nothing I've ever acheived with the combo router/modems, and my gaming needs with the port-forwarding work seamlessly. There's two days trying to get the TG3482G working that I'll never get back, so the equipment investment is worth it.

Sage adivce...get a modem for the cable internet, and handle the wireless router separately.