Community Forum

Bridge mode for Google Wifi

Frequent Visitor

Bridge mode for Google Wifi

I have a Cisco DPC3941T and a new set of Google Wifi pucks. I want my gateway in bridge mode to avoid double NAT and part of the reason I bought the new devices (outside of poor wifi) is because they support NAT loopback where the Xfinity gateway does not. Enabling bridge mode from the web gui does not work. Neither the GWF pucks nor my laptop is able to pull a public IP. I can see the public IP assigned to the WAN side of the gateway when I log in by statically assigning an IP on my laptop. After an hour an a half or so of Comcast techs sending reboot signals to the gateway, they finally concluded that "some devices are incompatible with bridge mode." This doesn't make sense to me given that neither device could pull an IP and the devices are just hunting for a DHCP address - nothing fancy going on there. Anyone else seen this issue or have any recommendations (that ideally does not have me spending another couple hours on the phone with Comcast techs) on how to successfully get my device into bridge mode? Thanks in advance.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Bridge mode for Google Wifi

After scouring these and other forums, it looks like others have had similar issues with the DPC3941T. It's been suggested to swap out the modem with a different model. I will pursue that route. Is there a recommendation on what I should seek? I've seen at least one reference to the TG1682G working in bridge mode while continuing to support XHS. Thanks.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Bridge mode for Google Wifi

I figured I would continue the dialog I am having with myself here and post an update in case anyone finds value in it. I took my modem to the xfinity store to swap out. They gave me another DPC3941T stating that that is the only model that they had - though I'm not sure they understood how to tell the difference. Regardless, I took it home, put it in bridged mode, and the google wifi device grabbed an IP right away. So, it appears to have been an issue with the specific unit I had.