Community Forum

Bridge Mode troubles

Frequent Visitor

Bridge Mode troubles

I see there are others here with problems like mine, but I can't tell if there is a solution.  This problem started for me a few days ago and I have had a tech out with no luck - he even changed the router so I know it is not related to that.  It seems like bridge Mode no longer works - no matter what port I plug into ( I know 1 should be the one) I can't get my router to connect.  If I turn bridge mode off, it will work, but that solution is not ideal for me.  I also have an issue where my xfinity xFi can't connect to my router and says it can't load my settings.  Not sure where to go from here or who can help.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Bridge Mode troubles

Yep, it's happened to me twice since March, and then yesterday, no matter what I did (with or without the advanced tech team on the line), we could NOT connect through the ethernet port--so that's 3 times now, and I'm forced to use the Xfinity Gateway radios for wireless.  Tech claims there were no similar issues, must be isolated, etc.  I think a firmware upgrade did this.  I can't even connect to a machine using an ethernet cable, so something has happened to the ethernet port logic.  Just not assigning DHCP.

I get to wander into Comcast tomorrow and exchange the unit, but based on what I see I'm doubtful that's the problem...

Frequent Visitor

I did the same thing with no luck. My guess is this will magically fix, but I will have no way to know when.

Expert

@rdurr The Xfinity xFi only works with the 3939, 3941, and 1682 only when they are not in bridge mode and nothing else. It's not supposed to work with a router you buy. I believe these bridge mode problems are caused by a firmware glitch after these latest stream of firmware updates. I personally don't know of any eta given on when those fixes will come.
Expert

The best way to avoid these issues is if you don't have voice service and buy your own modem and router separately to retain your control over your network compared to firmware that is locked down and modified by Comcast. If you do have voice service, hopefully they let have your own equipment for voice and get your own with a router.
Diamond Problem Solver

My standard speil;

FWIW, there *may still* be one caveat to owning your own eMTA or gateway device that supports their phone service. YMMV. I always advise (until I'm told otherwise officially) that the first thing you should do is to call in or go to your local CC service center (the better choice) and inquire / confirm as to whether or not customer owned eMTA's (modems with phone support) are allowed to be used on the local system. Some local franchises still do not allow it and require you to rent one from CC. The personnel that work there seem to better know what the actual local franchise's policies really are than do support reps at the national 800 number.

If allowed, there are five devices available at retail that they will activate for service are the Arris TG862G, the Arris SVG2482AC, the Netgear C7100V, the Arris TM822G, and the Arris TM722G. The 862 is a combo cable modem / router / eMTA gateway device but it is a piece of junk. But it can be put in to bridge mode so that it acts only as a cable modem with phone support. You would the use your own high quality stand-alone router with it.

The SVG2482AC and the C7100V are much better performing combo gateway devices that offer 24 downstream channels. The 822 is an eMTA that offers only 8 downstream channels. The 722 is an older eMTA that offers only 4 downstream channel bonding capability so it won't be able deliver their fastest speed tiers like 150 and faster. They are hard to find as they are not being manufactured anymore.

Frequent Visitor

Update: I had a tech out a couple days back, who was puzzled for a bit and finally got the Xfinity Gateway in wireless mode (radios turned OFF) to connect to my router.  He indicated the Gateway appeared to be hanging on an update, and also said that remote technicians would inadvertantly "brick" the Gateways during attemps to fix things.  Anyhow, this setup worked fine for two days, so I held my breath and put the Gateway in bridge mode via the admin login page through my browser, and my router connected just fine.  It's been working well ever since.  While the tech was very polite and admitted there were a crop of complaints about Bridge Mode/aftermarket routers he was somewhat vague on exactly how he fixed it except for the reference to the update hanging (perhaps that's all it was).

Soooo, any more issues I get a tech out, no more suffering through tiers 1 and 2 when this will likely happen again (this was the third time).

Frequent Visitor

HA!  Update on my Update:

Once things were working again, as a newly retired couple, we started looking at ways to cut costs across all our services so I called Comcast to downgrade some services.  All worked out and then the guy goes, "I'm pushing out a refresh to your cable and internet boxes."  Uh oh, sure enough, after the reboot of the Xfinity modem, my NetGear R7000 once again lost the ability to handshake no matter who I talked to on the phone.  In frustration, I went to the Comcast service center for the 2nd time in 5 days and replaced the current gateway with a brand new one.  Activated it, go the radios going, put it in bridge mode, connected my NetGear router and plugged it in.  All is well.  What an ordeal...

Frequent Visitor

Continued Bridge Mode Issues - I finally caved in...

In February, my Arris DPC3941T gateway stopped handshaking with my NetGear R7000 in either Bridge mode or standward wireless mode.  Just wouldn't connect.  I had to get tier two support to do something, and they'd fix it all, but after about a week the problem would come up again.

Over the last two weeks, I got more aggressive with my phone calls, had techs out, that fixed it, and then it would get hosed again after a few days.  Nexts, I replaced the unit with another of the same model, same problem.  Then I got an Arris tg1682g on Monday and that worked until some time last night when the system wouldn't again handshake with my router.

So I called up, had them completely reset my Xfinity gateway/router to wireless mode, when in and changed the names of the 2.4 and 5 radios to that on my NetGear (now turned off permanently), and let everything reconnect.  I connected my thermostat and security hub camera's up, and it's all connected.

At this point, I firmly believe a) either a firmware update on the Xfinity hardware (both triple play models) is hosing this, or Comcast is deliberately doing something to discourage use of a personal router to handle the home network.  But I give up, and don't care.  Support clearly can't fix the issue if there truly is one, other home routers I have don't connect either, and neither will my laptop through ethernet if I try that.  I've spent too much time on the phone with support, gone nutty fighting through the interactive voice response system that asks me silly questions (I mean why the <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "language"> do I want to consider getting a pay per view event when I'm calling tech support?), and expended too much time trying to manage my home network my way.  I'm done.

You win Comcast, bravo.  Thanks for screwing this long standing customer.  I have no other choices available in my rural area so I have to lump it (sorry, Dish is worse in reliability around here).

Frustrated in Maryland

Contributor

Re: Continued Bridge Mode Issues - I finally caved in...

before connecting your router use a wired connection to the gateway in bridge mode....open your browser and verify you have internet connection..................use same wired connection to setup router and select use this pc mac address in router internet setup save and then connect port 1 from gateway to router WAN reboot gateway and router ...could take 10 minutes but should work
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Continued Bridge Mode Issues - I finally caved in...

Year old marked "Answered" dead thread now being closed.