Community Forum

Bridge Mode not working with ASUS RT-AC68U Router????

Frequent Visitor

Bridge Mode not working with ASUS RT-AC68U Router????

Ok so all of a sudden the router is dropping connection to the internet while there is still a good connection coming into the modem. Thinking it was an issue with the modem(Arris TG862G) I went into the Xfinity Store and switched out for the new TG1862G. I just bought the Asus not long ago.

So I get home and call Comcast to have the new modem put back into Bridge Mode. It works for awhile(maybe an hour) and then the router looses connection and says that the internet is disconnected while the US/DS and Online lights remain lit. When I go to check on the connection status on the router, it says that the DHCP lease has expired and that it is renewing. Only that it never renews and when it does, it only renews for an hour. I even reset the Asus to factory configuration and it still does the same thing.

Is there a setting somewhere on the modem that isn't sending a WAN IP address up the chain to the router? For the life of me I can't understand or figure out how this all of a sudden started happening and why it keeps happening. Everything is essentially stock from the factory but the modem can't seem to push the live connection to the router.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Bridge Mode not working with ASUS RT-AC68U Router????

Disconnect the router and test it with just one compuer connected to the  bridged gateway.  You will need to powercycle the gateway everytime you change the device.  LAN port 1 is the only active port if the gateway is successfully in bridge mode and you will be receiving a public Comcast IP at the PC.

Test it for a while that way.

Expert

might want to swap it for the lastest ac router and leave it in regular mode and test wifi without the asus router. when it is working properlty then switch to bridged. You may find the AC works better in your home than the asus. some routers allow use as an extender (access point) too.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Silver Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

might want to swap it for the lastest ac router and leave it in regular mode and test wifi without the asus router. when it is working properlty then switch to bridged. You may find the AC works better in your home than the asus. some routers allow use as an extender (access point) too.

Nah, not used the AC 1900 ASUS, but I'm sure it would be better than the 1682G in terms of speed/range and configurability. Sure it could be used as an AP but I think that would be a waste of $170.

Silver Problem Solver

As to the OP's question, the 1682G has had a recent firmware update. One weird thing is there is no access to the admin tool when bridged. So it's impossible to view the modem sigs/logs. Without doing a factory reset and taking the device out of bridge. (tried 10.0.0.1 and 192.168.100.1)

Try what Jay suggests, but if you change the router to port 1, give the reset button on the gateway a quick 2 sec press. Anytime in bridge mode, you change the device connected to port 1 you would have to do that.

Diamond Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote:

You may find the AC works better in your home than the asus. 

No disrespect intended but I gotta' chuckle about any ISP supplied gateway device having better performance and more features than a current quality separate / dedicated router available at retail.

Frequent Visitor

Well I decided to call Comcast and see what the deal was.....

Called them up and said I wanted to put my gateway into bridge mode (I had done a full factory reset and was just running a desktop hard wired into the gateway.) CS Tech asked for CMAC and said gateway was disabled. He tried to send a refresh signal or something and nothing was coming over. Like I said earlier, I had just gotten this new gateway. Well he enters in some code to enable the gateway then says he put it into bridge mode. I plugged it into the router and then the router into the desktop and nothing....he says he would check to see if he could elevate it to Tier 2. Of course they won't b/c the introduction of my router into the mix and say you need to call the router manufacturer. Oh good. I did a full reset of the router while everything was hooked up and I did the web based router set up and it is now up and running....for how long, time will tell.

Now I'm still hesitant to trust this gateway bridge mode. The light for 2.4 Ghz WiFi is on a steady blink(blink on-blink off continually like this for the past 3 hours) and the light for 5 Ghz WiFi is a steady on. I was under the impression that these lights were supposed to go out when in bridge mode. I really just want to be sure there is no setting somewhere the Tech missed or is this a glitch in the gateway. I'm really hesitant to push the reset button, aka power cycle, b/c when all this started I pushed the reset button on the gateway and it fell out of bridge mode on its own.

Any advise on whether or not it is good to go or if there is still some underlying issue?? I might call again tomorrow just to confirm everything is good to go.

Silver Problem Solver

If the wireless lights are on, on the gateway, doesn't sound like it's bridged. Can you log into the admin tool at 10.0.0.1, click on Connection/Software to view what fimware you have?

I tried bridge the other day and the wireless lights both went off. The latest firmware is:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 10.0.113A.SIP.PC20.CT
Software Image Name: TG1682_2.1p4s3_PROD_sey

I have the xfinitywifi hotspot disabled on mine, so not sure if having that enabled would cause the wireless lights to flash in bridge.

Like I mentioned above, with this new firmware there would be no access to the admin tool in bridge.

Frequent Visitor

Nope. No luck logging into the gateway at 10.0.0.1, 192.168.100.1, or 10.1.10.1(read somewhere this could be another gateway IP address.)

The 2.4ghz light is still flashing and the 5ghz light is still on and I've disabled the xfinitywifi hotspot. I'm taking it that since I'm no longer able to get into the gateway that it is in bridge mode. I asked the tech last night about the light still being on and he said "I wouldn't trip over it. Everything is green on our end." Super reassuring.

I got a tweet back from ComcastCares who said that if I were to power cycle the gateway it would come out of bridge mode everytime...so I'm really not wanting to do that since the connection seems to be stable.

Silver Problem Solver

Yeah, if you can't get to the admin tool, it would suggest you are in bridge and have the new firmware. Ok if you disabled the hotspot, could be the hidden network for the Xfinity Home service causing the wifi lights to flash, (I disabled that too), yeah I'd leave it alone.

Frequent Visitor

Yeah, I'm gonna leave it be. You're probably right about it being the "Hidden Network". From time to time I pick up that SSID on my laptops and a check on inSSIDer shows a blank network floating around out there. And I'm still seeing "xfinitywifi" on inSSIDer but haven't been able to see it on laptops even though I turned it "off" in My Account. Oh well. Once it starts working....good idea to go ahead and stop messing with stuff.

Thanks everyone for the help and ideas.

Frequent Visitor

I also noticed online in My Account that the old gateway is still on the account and my MAC listed under "My Internet Plans" is the MAC of the old gateway. Could this have something to do with it or is this just outdated information that isn't updated regularly or with any timeliness?

Just trying to cross my T's and dot my I's to make sure the connection stays up.

Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

It may drop off the account given a little time, do keep the receipt if you still have it from when you did the swap. No, shouldn't have any bearing on anything else.

Good Luck!

Expert

connor_evans wrote:

Yeah, I'm gonna leave it be. You're probably right about it being the "Hidden Network". From time to time I pick up that SSID on my laptops and a check on inSSIDer shows a blank network floating around out there. And I'm still seeing "xfinitywifi" on inSSIDer but haven't been able to see it on laptops even though I turned it "off" in My Account. Oh well. Once it starts working....good idea to go ahead and stop messing with stuff.

Thanks everyone for the help and ideas.

when you see the public xfinitywifi on SSID list unplug your modem and see if that entry goes away (couild be a neighbor's)

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Frequent Visitor

Oh from now on I'm going to be super warry of power cycling the TG1682G gateway now that the ComcastCares tech tweeted me that everytime the gateway is power cycled, it drops of out bridge mode(Didn't use to be that way, so I guess that's why I was having so much trouble at first???)

And in a new development, now the 5 Ghz light has started a steady blink along with the 2.4 Ghz light. The Asus still shows a good connection to the Internet so I'm still holding my breath. Just thought I'd keep y'all updated should anything develop....which it has.

Diamond Problem Solver

Frequent Visitor

I know this is old but tech came out yesterday. After I got it working again it went back to dropping connection every few days or so. Was having to reset the modem and the connection would come back on. Evidently there was a connection issue on the line out at the pole. Online tech/rep said there were intermittent upstream signal issues on the connection....I looked at the connection status before the tech came out yesterday and I had only one upstream channel connected and it was over powered at around 57dBmV. After he fixed the line, 4 channels and all at good power levels. Hope it holds.

Diamond Problem Solver

That's a common problem. Good luck !

New Poster

Did you ever get this set up running (ARRIS TG862G modem in bridge mode with the ASUS RT-AC3100 wireless router)?  I've got the same exact symptoms as you first describe.

Diamond Problem Solver

Please post details of your problem in a new topic of you own if you like. 5 month old, marked solved thread now being closed.