Community Forum

Brand New Modem/Router already registered to another account.

Contributor

Brand New Modem/Router already registered to another account.

I'm setting my own Netgear C3700 Cable Modem Router up for my Xfinity WiFi and while doing so my downstream scanning LED wouldn't stop flashing. I asked a friend and was told I need to call Comcast to get my modem registered with my account. When I did that, I was told the device was already registered to another account even though I'd bought it not an hour earlier from BestBuy. Do I need to return it or is there some way this is a mistake that can be cleared up?

Expert

Re: Brand New Modem/Router already registered to another account.

I heard of BestBuy repackaging returned modems before. The fastest thing may be to return it.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Gross, but will-do.
Expert

Please post back with how things go !

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I returned it and grabbed a new one but was told the one I was returning was brand new and had never been opened, so I don’t have a lot of faith that this one will work.
Expert

Try it and see..

Contributor

This one isn't registered. The downstream scanning light won't stop flashing though, so it won't connect to the internet. When I activate it will that stop?

Diamond Problem Solver

Do you know if you have a live Comcast coax signal? Have you ever had working service?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

@marcus2159 wrote:

This one isn't registered. The downstream scanning light won't stop flashing though, so it won't connect to the internet. When I activate it will that stop?

Barring any RF  signal / connectivity problems, the modem should synchronize with the system regardless of whether it has yet been activated for service.

Contributor

I just moved here. I have a Comcast coax cable, but there’s already a coax coming out of the wall, so I just hooked the cable modem router directly up to the wall without using the Comcast coax
Diamond Problem Solver

Either you don’t have a live signal and/or the outlet that you’re trying to use isn’t hooked up at all. You’re going to have to take a look and follow where all the cables meet up. Do you see anything outside?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

You may need a tech out to re-connect the other end of the line back up to the Comcast feed as it may have been disconnected with the prior move-out. This is quite typical with a move-in.

Contributor

I’m in an apartment building, so there’s just a jumble of cables outside where my internet line should lead. I called customer support and they said my modem is showing up online on their end, but it isn’t connected on mine. I was being transferred to tech support but got disconnected again, and I’m not sure how to get a technician out here
Expert

Call 1-800-comcast.

Contributor

I don’t need to activate it. I need a technician to come out and check the line.
Official Employee

Hi, marcus2159. Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. There could be a potential fee for the appointment. Do you have an internet connection currently?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@marcus2159 wrote:
I don’t need to activate it. I need a technician to come out and check the line.

That number is also a method of booking a tech visit............

Contributor

I tried it and kept disconnecting / Customer Service would try everything but setting up a tech. Someone called me a few days ago and set up an appointment so I'm all good now.