Community Forum

Blocking YouTube

Regular Visitor

Blocking YouTube

Using 10.0.0.1, I’m having trouble blocking the YouTube website for specific devices. I can successfully block it using it as a keyword, but it blocks the trusted devices too. I had the same problem with Facebook, but found a work around by blocking the website instead. I had to block four different forms of the Facebook address before it worked. But with YouTube, nothing is working. There’s got to be a way around this all or nothing glitch that I’m encountering with YouTube.
Tags (1)
0F7C25D3-8D30-41AC-93FC-0FA457F6DC46.png
Expert

Re: Blocking YouTube

I'm not sure that's possible on the Comcast gateway. You can block a domain completely, but it's blocked for everyone. If you're only looking to enable YouTube Restricted Mode for certain devices, you can turn on Parental Controls from Xfinity xFi

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I don’t really understand what you mean because it works for everything I’ve tried so far except YouTube. YouTube is the only thing I’m unable to block on only certain devices. And xFi doesn’t allow you to block anything specific. That ends up being another all or nothing choice for blocking the devices entire internet use or not.
Silver Problem Solver

@PoeticVampire wrote:
I don’t really understand what you mean because it works for everything I’ve tried so far except YouTube. YouTube is the only thing I’m unable to block on only certain devices. And xFi doesn’t allow you to block anything specific. That ends up being another all or nothing choice for blocking the devices entire internet use or not.

Is it possible you have the X1 system which includes the Youtube app?  X1 parental controls might block it.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I am having the same issue.  I setup parental controls to block YouTube, but Youtube is blocked from one Mac, but not another (confirmed not set as "Trusted").  Did you find any fix for this issue?  

New Poster

I'm having the same issue.  I've tried blocking youtube using http and https and it isn't working.