Community Forum

Blast! wifi speeds

New Poster

Blast! wifi speeds

So I got Blast! Internet which says download speeds "up to" 250 Mbps. After running the speed test on my lap top, I'm getting around 100-120 Mbps which is not even half of the "up to 250 Mbps" . Is that normal for wifi speeds or am I getting robbed here?

New Poster

Re: Blast! wifi speeds

Your wifi speeds may vary for multiple reasons, such as where you have your modem in your house & where you have the device which you are using the wifi on. This can effect the speed depending how far away or through multiple walls. Also your router has a lot to do with the wifi signal strength and your wifi adapter your using in your computer. If even 1 of these devices are outdated or slower you may get slower speeds, 

New Poster

I got the modem in living room and I got my laptop pretty much next to it. My laptop is a year old so the network adapter is new as well.

New Poster

Is this a modem/router from comcast? Or is this your own ?  It needs to be a newer model also as long as the docsys is 3.0 you should be able to acheive 300+ mbps, if it is then maybe your lines running through the house at that point. Comcast would send a rep out to test the lines at your house if they are old you can replace them with newer ones too which is what I ended up having to do.

Expert

For a test, what speeds do you get with a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

The modem is from Comcast, model name TG1682G Vendor: ARRIS Group, Inc. The thing is, this is at a town house, so I'm not sure if they can re-do the lines if they are old.

Expert

Have you tried the test that I suggested yet ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thats the thing, my laptop doesn't have ethernet jack, so I can't do the wired test. At least not with this laptop. But even then, if sitting a few feet away from the modem in my living room, the speed test should be well over 100 Mbps if I got the Blast! package which says up to 250 Mbps.

I'm not even close to half that at this point.

New Poster

I guess I can buy a usb adapter for $13 and try a wired test