Last Saturday, a technician replaced my overheating Gateway and fixed a wiring problem. When he performed a speedtest on his laptop, he showed me that I was getting nearly 300 mbps, which was impressive given that my current tier was 105 mbps when I signed up for service in November '17. I didn't think to confirm the speed on my own laptop before he left because I was experiencing reactions to a dryer sheet scent on his clothing that filled the air in my apartment and made me sick and foggy-headed.
Long story short: I haven't been able to get more than 30 mbps since then even though I was able to get my actual mbps level, sometimes even higher, on the overheating gateway. The firewall is set to low.
What else could be causing this sudden drop in speed? Any ideas appreciated.
I'm loathe to call tech support if it's something I can fix on my end. I still have a call to return to the executive office from before the visit about all of the problems that I've had with the service. I'd prefer that the service was actually working and all of the problems resolved before I start talking to them about credits, the recent discovery this week that a phone-based technician gave me incorrect info months ago and that this incorrect info was part of the reason that I didn't call immediately about getting the gateway replaced and other things that happened.
Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!