Community Forum

Blast Pro 250 gets full speed after provisioning — drops in around 20 minutes

Frequent Visitor

Blast Pro 250 gets full speed after provisioning — drops in around 20 minutes

Hey all;

I have a puzzling problem that Comcast can’t seem to resolve. I previously had Blast 150/10 service for years (started at around 40 and over the years they upgraded it til it hit 150), and had purchased a Netgear C7800 modem (high end DOCSIS 3.1 modem/router) and consistently hit 150/10 no issues and it was great.

2 months ago I moved to a new location — and Comcast said to just plug my equipment in, my service would move... everything would be fine — and it was. In fact they started a new account, and a tech came out and installed a new outlet in the home office so the modem could get out of the front room... 150/10 service like always, rock solid, although I noticed my WiFi would occasionally freeze up. Netgear RMA’d the old modem (like 5 months old) and sent me a new one... WiFi issues seemed to resolve.

Fast forward a couple weeks — apparently the new tenants in my old place can’t activate and Comcast thinks I’m still living there. Apparently when I moved, the CSR created a new account at my new address, but my equipment never moved... it got hung up in the “bulk account to residential account” conversion process and got stuck in the middle... got my equipment finally moved to the account at my new address — but there was a hitch. They now only offer standard 60/5, “Performance Pro” which is 150/5 and “Blast Pro” which is 250/10. Regular “Blast” with 10 meg upload is no longer available, and since I have various security cameras, I need the 10 meg upload — they offered me new customer promos so I didn’t gripe too much, and took the 250/10.

Initially I was thrilled — I averaged 290-300 down and 11/12 up. Thanked the CSR, and got off the phone. Checked it at a few sites, speed tests etc hardwired and AC wireless and it’s nice and fast. Hour later I check, and it’s now 70/8... poked around some more and the speeds are all over the place from 40/6 to 190/10. This from a line that was *rock solid* 150/10 (usually more) until the plan changed.

I called up, reprovisioned the modem — said sometimes it does this — modem reset, it was back to 293/12. Said I’d watch it... 20 minutes later, dropped back to 120, then 80, then 60 then back to 103... Called again... they swear it’s fine. Reprovisined again... same thing nearly 300 then dropping down to below my old Blast speeds, sometimes way low, sometimes spiking up to 180.

Signal levels are all showing around -1 power and SNR of around 40 on all 31 channels. Comcast says the signals look great...

Does anyone have any ideas of what’s going on? I’d be content it’s the whole “neighborhood congestion” and “they only say ‘up to’ 250” thing — except that previously on this same line with my old “Blast” provisioning with the same signal it always sat around 150/10 (usually a bit higher like 162/11) — but once they put the equipment on the new account with the “Blast Pro” provisioning, it gets a great nearly 300 megs and 11/12 for 20 minutes, then actually ends up dropping lower than my old plan... I’d say averages around 90-110.

Any ideas? I’m just particularly frustrated that I’m paying an extra 15 bucks on my plan above what it would have been on my old plan — and my service is all over the map and actually averages lower speeds than my previous tier... I know it’s not the line since it was fine when the equipment was still attached to my old plan and address... I even have a new modem... and it does work great for 20 minutes or so every time.

Thanks!

Expert

Re: Blast Pro 250 gets full speed after provisioning — drops in around 20 minutes

@ngbmedia wrote:

Signal levels are all showing around -1 power and SNR of around 40 on all 31 channels.

What do the upstream power level figures look like ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Blast Pro 250 gets full speed after provisioning — drops in around 20 minutes

Looks to be in the 40 range — I’ve attached a screenshot...

Just noticed the large number of “correctable errors” — it’s been running for about 24 hours since a reset. I don’t ever remember seeing those before — of course, when it was working properly I didn’t pay much attention to it.
64CC2C1E-A0FE-4027-8989-FD83CFBA8E61.jpeg
Expert

Stats are good. Please also post the modem's error / event log entries.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Here's the log... not sure exactly what these errors mean...

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 17.16.56 .png
Expert

The signal stats are o/k but the error log entries indicate that something is going on. Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They will be able to poll the CMTS to see whether or not everything is in the green zone, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and also see a history plot for the modem. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

Awesome thx Smiley Happy

Official Employee

Hi @ngbmedia

I can take a deeper look into your account to see if I can help isolate the cause of your speed issues. 

Can you please verify your first and last name in a private message, as well as the name of the account holder if it's different than yours? To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.