Community Forum

Best Doscsis 3.1 modem

Frequent Visitor

Best Doscsis 3.1 modem

So I currently have the SB6190 Docsis 3.0 modem.

Of course Comcast tech support has been telling me it is near of life.  

And this week they upgrade my speed from 75 to 100. 

My router is getting tired so I was thinking in April of updating my home network.

The big question is should upgrade to a Docsis 3.1 modem just head off when Comcast decided to no longer support the SB6190.?  That first question.

If I do upgrade which one of the three Docsis 3.1 modems should I get?  Which one does Comcast really like and find the least amout of problems with?  Price is not really important as compared to something the works right the first time and that Comcast can configured on the first try,  and not have to messed around because they are a big company and sometimes thing just don't work right.

Summary:  Is worth upgrading to Docsis 3.1 now?  And if so which one?

Thanks for all your opinions.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Best Doscsis 3.1 modem

What?? The 6190 is a 32-channel capable modem and is already overkill for 100Mbit. It will be good for quite a long time. Comcast just wants you to RENT their $11/month gateway for the pure profit. Even my Zoom 5341J (8 channel) is more than enough for 100Mbit.

Basically, 3.1 is still rather new and not all areas support it yet. I'd wait for the 2nd or 3rd gen modems before changing to it, and even then, only if you have one of the very high speed services (200+).

Diamond Problem Solver

Has the Puma 6 chipset issue been resolved yet   ?

Frequent Visitor

The 6190 is 32 Channel modem but right now I am connected for 26.  And the channel 26 get a few errors.  

Thanks for that.  If comcast will only be foward more about end of life equipment so I can order one before hand and not have to rush out and get one. aka an email.

But for now I will just upgrade the router in April.  Will be interesting to see what is out there.

Dean

Diamond Problem Solver

EG wrote:

Has the Puma 6 chipset issue been resolved yet ?

I got an answer from an Arris insider in the know and the answer was no and they are still working on a fix.

Some info about devices with the Puma 6 chipset issue;

Reason to not get them;

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31079834-ALL-SB6190-is-a-terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mis...

https://www.approvedmodems.com/do-not-buy-list.html

Regular Contributor

If you want to upgrade to a 3.1 device then I would say the MB8600 is the best option due to a couple of things.  2-year warranty, 4 gig ports on the back for when they release higher speeds beyond 1G on coax, and it's pretty stable.  I was picking up a lot of uncorrected errors on my older unit before upgrading and the MB doesn't blink an eye on the same line and everything else. I did go ahead and upgrade to Gig service a couple of days ago and found that my router (ASUS) can't actually hit gig speeds wired/wireless.  I ordered a new router though that will bring things up to date and a couple of newer wifi cards to go with it from China. Once it's said and done I should be future proofed beyond belief for at least 5 years.

Being that my current router is an AC marked router and the LAN ports are Gig ports it surprised me a bit that they topped out on speedtests around 250-300M when they should have full gig support.  It just goes to show you that marketing doesn't equal real world when it comes to performance.  I wouldn't had noticed the 25% performance issue w/o upgrading my speeds and testing across 4-5 sites.  Sure enough connecting directly to the MB8600 I was hitting gig speeds and then through the router an instant drop in speed.

BTW here's what I went with:

~$200

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RT2600ac#specs

Intel 9260 1.7Gbps $25/ea

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/wireless/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-92...

Frequent Visitor

That is nice looking mid to high end router.  Amazon has them for around 200 bucks.  Looks like a winner.  I have been looking at so many routers option,  netgear, tp-link, linksys my head is spinning.  

I connect to my home network wired.  But did not even think about upgrading the Wi-fi card.

Have been out of the loop of computer stuff for a long time.  Looks I could upgrade my wifi card and dump the hard drive and get a SSD drive.  

So many options.  My head is spinning.

And most likely will keep the existing SB6190 modem for now.  I am only on the 100 mb plan so that will be my bottleneck until I am ready to upgrade to spend more a month.

Thanks

Diamond Problem Solver

n1sxl56 wrote:

And most likely will keep the existing SB6190 modem for now.  I am only on the 100 mb plan so that will be my bottleneck until I am ready to upgrade to spend more a month.

FWIW, did you see my post about the 6190 and the Puma 6 chipset glitch ?

Frequent Visitor

Yes I did.  

Think I will wait on the modem upgrade.  I am only at 100 mb download plan and getting more then that so will leave it along until comcast no longer supports or it dies on its own.  

Looking at Tp-Link AC3150 (Archer C3150v2) router upgrade to do in April.  Amazon has it for $194.  Unless something else catches my eye by then.

Diamond Problem Solver

O/k sure. No prob if you don't have any issues. That issue mostly affects / gets noticed by avid online gamers.