Community Forum

Band width reset time

Frequent Visitor

Band width reset time

When the end/first of the month band width allotment (1024gb) reset occurs, at what time does the reset happen?  When I chanced to check my usage on Dec. 31, 2018 at about 11:50pm PST  it had already reset to “zero”.  What “time” did the reset take place?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Band width reset time

The usage meter resets to zero at 0000 UTC (GMT) on the first day of each month. In the US 0000 UTC is the previous day at 8PM Eastern Daylight Time (7PM CDT, 6PM MDT, 5PM PDT), or 7PM Eastern Standard Time (6PM CST, 5PM MST, 4PM PST). See http://www.netforecast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/NFR5120_Fourth_Comcast_Meter_Accuracy_Validati....

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@BruceW wrote:

The usage meter resets to zero at 0000 UTC (GMT) on the first day of each month. In the US 0000 UTC is the previous day at 8PM Eastern Daylight Time (7PM CDT, 6PM MDT, 5PM PDT), or 7PM Eastern Standard Time (6PM CST, 5PM MST, 4PM PST). See http://www.netforecast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/NFR5120_Fourth_Comcast_Meter_Accuracy_Validati....

Thanks BruceW for the helpful info.  One thing is puzzling me.  As it happened, earlier in the day on Dec 18, 2018 at about 5:00 PM I had checked the “usage meter” and it read 702gb (final usage totaled 710gb according to the bar chart on Xfinity’s web site).  If the reset took place at 4:00 PM PST, (UTC 00:00 -8:00)  I’m  curious about how I found the 702 gb on the “meter” an hour later (5:00 PM)  and apparently at that point the  meter was still counting since final usage totaled 710 gb.  Any thoughts?

Gold Problem Solver

@skipj wrote: ... If the reset took place at 4:00 PM PST, (UTC 00:00 -8:00)  I’m  curious about how I found the 702 gb on the “meter” an hour later (5:00 PM) ...

The meter is not real-time. As stated in the linked NetForecast report:

... processing introduces an overall time lag that causes the meter to update about three hours after the subscriber traffic passed over the network. The Comcast goal is to have the meter update no later than 24 hours after the traffic event.
Frequent Visitor

@BruceW wrote:

@skipj wrote: ... If the reset took place at 4:00 PM PST, (UTC 00:00 -8:00)  I’m  curious about how I found the 702 gb on the “meter” an hour later (5:00 PM) ...

The meter is not real-time. As stated in the linked NetForecast report:

... processing introduces an overall time lag that causes the meter to update about three hours after the subscriber traffic passed over the network. The Comcast goal is to have the meter update no later than 24 hours after the traffic event.

Thanx again BruceW appreciate your help.  I’ll re-read the NetForecast report.  By the way the date I entered...Dec. 18,2018...should have been Dec. 31, 2018.  My bad.  You  probably had figured that out though..  sorry for any confusion.

thank you again.

Gold Problem Solver

@skipj wrote: ... the date I entered...Dec. 18,2018...should have been Dec. 31, 2018.  My bad. ...

No problem. To be honest, I read "earlier in the day" and failed to notice the 12/18 date.

If you haven't already, you might also want to check out the articles linked from https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-plan.