Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Authentication error trying to connect to wifi

Contributor

Authentication error trying to connect to wifi

Just got a newer Comcast modem and have gone through the wifi setup. However, I keep getting an authentication error when trying to connect with my andoid phone. It keeps trying, connection is excellent. Yes, the password is correct. Suggestions?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Authentication error trying to connect to wifi

If you can set it, be sure the security type is correct; WPA, WPA2, etc...

On my android phone (4.2.x IIRC), I can't set the type. It just tries doing a hand shake and figuring out; It could be trying to use the wrong one.

The other thing to check would be to see if the router is allowing only certain MAC addresses. If that's the case you'd need to disable it, or add the MAC for your phone in. No idea on this one, since each router may have a different way of doing it. For example, on my Wireless router it's under:  Advanced Settings -> Firewall -> MAC Address Filtering

Only things I can think of. 

-M

Contributor

It should automatically pick up the router, it did with the Linksys. This just isn't working.

Problem Solver

It *should* this is true, but as OP said every router is a bit different. The designers are starting out with their own assumptions as to default settings. Check the router and see what silly assumptions they made.

Contributor

Well, then, that's Comcast for you....Linksys was much easier to use. With Comcast, nothing is ever easy.

Problem Solver

dwhite021329 wrote:

Well, then, that's Comcast for you....Linksys was much easier to use. With Comcast, nothing is ever easy.

True that, especially as they then put their own custom bootfile on the gateway. This may disable or dumb down some standard features of the device.

Remember the default settings on your router/gateway ASSUME, so that that as you will.

Expert

JEMRING wrote:
True that, especially as they then put their own custom bootfile on the gateway. This may disable or dumb down some standard features of the device.

FWIW, that would be the *firmware* load, not the "bootfile" that controls that stuff.

Contributor

Dusted this issue off again, still can't get it to work. I know I can use Xfinity to connect to wifi but others can't...my son cannot connect when he is here. Now I can't even remember the network login and pasword that I changed to when I set this up awhile ago. Comcast has been no help. So basically, I can't set up wifi with my router to work on ANY device in my home. What can I do?

Problem Solver

You need to get rid of the comcast gateway or put it in bridge mode.

If you have Comcast Phone and want to keep it:

Put your Gateway device in ‘Full’ Bridge mode and buy your own high quality router so you have control over your own network including all firmware upgrades and do not have to rely on Comcast crippled firmware. Telephone modem only, no Gateway? Buy the Arris TM822G and save yourself the $10/month rental fee.

If you do NOT have Comcast Phone or want to get rid of Comcast Phone:

Buy you own modem like the highly acclaimed Zoom 5341J ($70 Amazon) and save the $10/month rental fee. Buy your own high quality router so you have control over your own network including all firmware upgrades and do not have to rely on Comcast crippled firmware.

Buy Ooma Phone service for a onetime cost of about $100 and no monthly fees. Now you have full control over your phone with a Community Blacklist with thousands of blocked numbers and your own 256 Personal Phone Blacklist. This will save you $450 per year alone.

Contributor

Thanks. I do not have a Comcast phone. I have an android, my son has an iPhone. Should have known Comast wifi through their modem would be worthless.

Bronze Problem Solver

dwhite021329 wrote:

Dusted this issue off again, still can't get it to work. I know I can use Xfinity to connect to wifi but others can't...my son cannot connect when he is here. Now I can't even remember the network login and pasword that I changed to when I set this up awhile ago. Comcast has been no help. So basically, I can't set up wifi with my router to work on ANY device in my home. What can I do?

Hello there,

I apologize that this has been a frustrating issue for you.

This link may provide you with information on how to see your network information and change the SSID and password if you need to.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-username-and-password/

As for the issue with devices not being able to connect, have you been experiencing any issues with devices still connecting?

Please let me know, and I'll do everything I can to help out.

Thanks!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

I did this so long ago and got so frustrated I let it sit since June. I don't remember the login and password that I changed from admin/password. When I tried to figure out how to change it, it says to contact Comcast. I have not done that yet. I tried to chat online with Comcast last night but the request got hung up and never went anywhere.

No one, including myself, has ever been able to connect to wifi in my house other than when I was using a Linksys router. It worked then.

Bronze Problem Solver

I understand.

Let's try getting the SSID and password information first.

Did the link that I posted above help get you into the gateway? If not, your or I can factory reset the gateway.

Thanks!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I cannot get into the gateway because I cannot change my login and password. I do not know what I changed it to.

Contributor

And I don't understand how to reset it myself.

Bronze Problem Solver

No worries. I will reset it right now. Give me just one moment.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

Alright. You gateway should be resetting right now.

Since we reset it to factory default, I'd like for you to try and connect to the wireless using the information from underneath the gateway. You'll be looking for WiFi SSID and WiFi Network Key.

Please let me know if that gets you connected.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be dense, but I haven't thought about this in awhile. Are you asking me to try to connect to wifi with my wireless device (in this case my phone)? Because I still get the same error message. Should I disconnect the network from my phone (forget network or modfy network config) and reset it as well?

Contributor

I also just logged into the admin tool on my pc.

Bronze Problem Solver

dwhite021329 wrote:

I also just logged into the admin tool on my pc.

Great!

Let's change the SSID and password to something you will easily remember (I recommend changing both).

Once changed and the settings are saved, let's have you try and connect you phone to the wireless.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Ok. So it would seem the issue is in the connection set up on my pc. I remember playing around with this before, months ago and just could not get anything to work with my phone, nor can anyone else.

Contributor

I already did that.

Bronze Problem Solver

I apologize if I'm asking the same thing or not understanding properly. I just want to make sure that I am helping you the best way I can.

When you logged into the gateway, did you follow the steps in the link about to change the SSID and password? Or did it not even let you get that far?

**UPDATE**

Ok, so you did change the settings. And you see the new network on your iPhone and still cannot connect?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I did not change any settings. I logged in with admin/password and changed my password. I did not update any settings here, should I? I am using an android, no one else is around right now to try their device.It still won't work on my android, still getting the same error message.

Bronze Problem Solver

Ok, I apologize.

Originally, the document showed the steps for changing the SSID, but now it just puts a link there which is not what I need in this case.

I'm going to start over and reset your gateway one more time. I have a better instruction list that shows exactly what needs to be done.

I apologize. I hadn't realized the document was changed. I feel like such a goof for not checking it.

Here is the correct document.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-username-and-password/

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Ok all is set as it was previously, Note: my screen shot is a little different than the instructions.Mine does not say "Private" nor do I have a green Enable/Disable box. I'm using Vista, does this matter?

Gateway > Connection > Wireless > Edit 2.4 GHz

Contributor

Actually it does say Private but I do not have the Enable/Disable box on this page.

Bronze Problem Solver

That's ok if the Enable/Disable option is not there. That feature may be hitting your gateway soon via a firmware update.

Do you have the option for the SSID change and the password change?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I did not change the SSID but I already changed my password.

Bronze Problem Solver

Alright.

We need to change the SSID as well.

This will be the braodcasted name of your netwrok. It can be anything you like.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Done

Bronze Problem Solver

Great!

So, now you should see a broadcasted network with the name you used. Do you see this network on your mobile device? If so, can you try to connect to it using the password you created?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Nope, same issue as before. "Authentication Error Occurred". Is there something that needs to be adjusted in the Gateway settings? I remember trying to fool with this before and still couldn't get it to work. What we just did together is the easy part. I wish it had been this easy before.

Bronze Problem Solver

I double checked all of the settings. Everything appears correct.

This is the first gateway you've had, correct?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

First Xfinity. I've had Linksys and it worked. Seems Xfinity secure wifi is not set up correctly to work.

Bronze Problem Solver

Yeah, I'm not sure why it's giving you that message. Especially this long. I'm almost tempted to say that there may be something wrong with the gateway itself.

Do you happen to have that Linksys router still?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

No.

Bronze Problem Solver
Moved:

Bronze Problem Solver

dwhite021329 wrote:

No.

No worries. I stil have one recommendation left.

I think we may need to consider a swap on the gateway you have. Because we can access the settings wired and not the connection wirelessly, I have a feeling the internal wireless adapter might be having an issue.

A swap can be done free of charge either at your local Comcast store or by a tech. However, swapping it might be faster than waiting for a tech.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I'll just get the linksys back, thanks.

Contributor

When you say gateway, you are referring to the modem, correct?

Bronze Problem Solver

A combo device like the one you have (modem/wireless adapter (device) and internet telephoney equipment is considered a gateway.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-1

When you do get the Liniksys back, you will need to contact us to have your gateway placed in Bridge mode. Enabling bridge mode turns the gateway into a basic modem and allows you to use your router.

We can enable bridge mode from the forums here, or you can contact customer support @ 1-800-COMCAST and an agent should be able to enable bridge mode for you.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

It would seem to me that I am a hostage of Comcast. Wifi wireless connection does not work, no one knows why, and I have to return it in some way, inconveniencing myself. Then, if I want to use my own equipment, I have to ask Comcast to do something else? Why? Comcast approached and offered to send me an upgraded modem since I was using an old one. I didn't ask for one. It was actually shipped to me at no cost to me. I think Comcast should send me another one, without me having to either go to one of the not convenient locations, or having to call a service tech.

Problem Solver

DWhite:

Have you tried lowering the firewall settings on your gateway, if that doesn't work try  turning off the firewall on the gateway.

Good Luck.

Contributor

I wouldn't begin to know how to do that. The way comcast talks, I should just be able to plug and go. I have no idea what to do with the settings in the set up. Actually, I have fooled around with them before, but it didn't change anything. There is no support from comcast on how to set these things up.

Contributor

It's at the default...minimum.

Contributor

Ok, NOW I see that I have to use the network key that is on the bottom of the modem/gateway. Comcast never said that. Now I am connected. What I can't figure out is how to change that key to a more manageable password other than a 15 digit number/letter combo. I did it on my PC but it seems that is when I get the error message on my wireless device. Why in the world would a guest need a 15 digit code to connect to my wifi?

Contributor

Figured it all out, no thanks to Comcast.