Community Forum

Arris svg2482ac and gigabit speed on xfinity

Regular Visitor

Arris svg2482ac and gigabit speed on xfinity

I own the arris modem that, according to mfg, should provide up to 1GB speed. Three days ago I upgraded to 1GB with xfinity. Two days later my speed was still at 300mbps. Had a comcast tech come down to my home and spoke to  support and was told this modem will not support more than 450mbps. I contacted Arris and this is what they replied:

"Thank you for contacting ARRIS Technical Support Center. I will be happy to assist you.

We are pleased to clarify that in effect, the SVG2482AC has the capacity to support up to 1.03 Gbps. Similarly, we indicate that Xfinity, by including this device as part of its equipment, has reformed its capacity, decreasing it to a total of 857 Mbps.

The foregoing does not affect the capacity with which this device was created, since it was tested with the highest technology that our laboratories have, however, it was Xfinity who made the deduction as per the firmware that they decided to apply on the device.

You can reinforce the above-mentioned by checking the information on their own website at:

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-svg2482ac-602

If you need immediate assistance or information on ARRIS products, please contact ARRIS Technical Support Center at 1-877-466-8646. We are open 7 days a week 7am - 12am CST.

For information on ARRIS products, we invite you to visit our website at: http://www.arris.com

Thank you,

ARRIS Technical Support Center.

The xfinity link  shows that:

Cable Modem and WiFi Router with Voice

ARRIS SVG2482AC | Model number: SVG2482AC    

• Model Specifications

Device Type

Gateway

Wired Download Speed 

Up to 857 Mbps

So why is Xfinity tech tell me the max should be only 450 mbps?

•  
  •  
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Arris svg2482ac and gigabit speed on xfinity

Just because Arris rates it one way, doesn’t mean Comcast will. Look up on
https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/
You will see what speed plans Comcast approves it for, gig isn’t one of them

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Yes, but the xfinity's own  link confirms speeds up to 857mbps. The Comcast tech confirmed that I was not getting more than 450mbps using his own laptop hardwired to modem even though Xfinity claims they were sending at the higher rate.

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-svg2482ac-602

Diamond Problem Solver

867 doesn’t equal a gig.
Go to the link I gave you, put in your plan speed, you will not see your modem listed there for the gig plan. Don’t look at the modem specs look at what Comcast actually approves your modem for. It’s getting what it’s supposed to. Basically, it boils down to, you have the wrong equipment for your service

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Thanks, i umderstand, but 857 is faster than 450.
Diamond Problem Solver

But it’s only approved for 400, nothing more

Contributor

The Arris SVG2482AC is a 24 channel Docsis 3.0 Unit.

Xfinity Gigabit service requires a 32 channel Docsis 3.1 unit.

Regular Visitor

Thanks

Expert

@GCHSR wrote:

The Arris SVG2482AC is a 24 channel Docsis 3.0 Unit.

Xfinity Gigabit service requires a 32 channel Docsis 3.1 unit.

Actually, they will only deliver the  gig speed tier via the DOCSIS 3.1 / OFDM downstream channel, not the other 32 DOCSIS 3.0 QAM 256 channels.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Yes I know it takes the OFDM carrier to deliver 3.1 Gig service, I only mentioned the 32 Doc 3.0 channels to steer Joe in the right direction......except for the PUMA 6 Arris and Netgear Docsis 3.0 modems. My Bad!

Expert

No worries ! Smiley Happy

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!