Community Forum

Arris Tm722 (US) Upstream light now orange...

Contributor

Arris Tm722 (US) Upstream light now orange...

The US/upstream light on my Arris Tm722 is now orange... It always used to be green. I know this is for upload. I always do regular speeds tests and always get 50 mb down, and 10.5mb up. Now my upload won't go over 6mb. Any ideas?

I called comcast and they said all I can do is exchange my modem. But will that fix it?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Arris Tm722 (US) Upstream light now orange...

Sounds like you've lost the multiple channel upstream bonding and are now locked on to only a single upstream channel. Try depressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear until you see the front panel indicator lights begin to cycle, then release it. Now give it the time it needs to fully re-sync with the system. This can sometimes help to restore the bonded channels, that is if they are actually still currently present on the CMTS / system.

Silver Problem Solver

Hello,

Because you have been upgraded to multiple channel bonding.

Diamond Problem Solver

reasd. Perhaps you could tell us why the upload is slower now ?

OP. Please go here http://192.168.100.1 and post (copy and paste) the signal stat figures here. Regardless of the color of the indicator lights which can be different depending on the particular firmware load, this will show what you now have one way or the other. Do this after the reset please.

Contributor

The reset fixed the upstream light and it's now green again. Thanks! Did a speed test, and I'm back up to the 10.5mb up on speedtest.net. So it's back to normal. Here is the info you requested.

Status

RF Parameters
Downstream
 DCIDFreqPowerSNRModulationOctetsCorrectedsUncorrectables
Downstream 12705.00 MHz-2.59 dBmV36.39 dB256QAM23366377380
Downstream 24717.00 MHz-2.66 dBmV36.84 dB256QAM20963738400
Downstream 35723.00 MHz-3.16 dBmV36.61 dB256QAM23443750500
Downstream 47735.00 MHz-3.30 dBmV37.36 dB256QAM23128624390
Reset FEC Counters
Upstream
 UCIDFreqPowerChannel TypeSymbol RateModulation
Upstream 1422.00 MHz43.25 dBmVDOCSIS1.x (TDMA)2560 kSym/s16QAM
Upstream 3528.20 MHz42.75 dBmVDOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)5120 kSym/s64QAM
Upstream 4635.00 MHz42.50 dBmVDOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)5120 kSym/s64QAM

Status
System Uptime:0 d: 0 h: 02 m
Computers Detected:staticCPE(1), dynamicCPE(1)
CM Status:Telephony-Reg Complete
Time and Date:Fri 2013-02-01 15:38:40

Interface Parameters
Interface NameProvisionedStateSpeed (Mbps)MAC address
LANEnabledUp1000(Full)00:151:B2:BA:0A
CABLEEnabledUp-----00:151:B2:BA:0B
MTAPassUp-----00:151:B2:BA:0C

Diamond Problem Solver

The bonding is quite dynamic so sometimes load balancing, noise ingress issues, or their deliberate temporary removal of the bonding due to bugs makes them go away.

The other modem offers 8 downstream channels instead of just 4 so you would have an even fatter downstream pipe. This can help perfomance especially if you are on a crowded segment during peak usage times.

BTW, the signal stats were in spec at that point in time.

Diamond Problem Solver

Here is a link to the owner's manual for the 722. Scroll down to page 60 if you want to know what the lights mean;

http://www.arrisi.com/support/documentation/user_guides/_docs/TTM_TM722_TM722_User_Guide_Std2-1.pdf

"High Speed" means there is no bonding. "Ultra High Speed" means there is.

For all purposes, "yellow" means orange.

Contributor

EG wrote:

The bonding is quite dynamic so sometimes load balancing, noise ingress issues, or their deliberate temporary removal of the bonding due to bugs makes them go away.

The other modem offers 8 downstream channels instead of just 4 so you would have an even fatter downstream pipe. This can help perfomance especially if you are on a crowded segment during peak usage times.

BTW, the signal stats were in spec at that point in time.

Thanks again. I do download a lot and many times mutiple files at the same time that are B I G. So it seems like that 822 might help me out, even if the network isn't crowded? Right?

Diamond Problem Solver

Yes. Even moreso if it is. This is provided that your local system is offering more than four downstream carriers.

Contributor

Sweet. The only other thing I have is a netgear wndr3700 gigabit router. Do those have 4 or 8 channels like the modem, or I don't need to worry about othat slowing anything down?

Diamond Problem Solver

Things work differently in routers but that router is a fine performer.

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Moved to a new thread, the old thread from early 2013 was marked solved.