Community Forum

Arris TG862 not going online

New Poster

Arris TG862 not going online

I unplugged my modem from the coaxial cable for a few hours while setting up a new entertainment setup. I plug it back in and it won't go online.
Only the power light is lit and the US/DS light flashes. I call and they say its offline and have me replace the cable and try other cable outlets.
None of that works. They suggest I replace the modem. Get a new modem,same brand, from Comcast service center hook it up. Same issue.
Now I have a tech scheduled for Monday since no tech onsite support over the weekend?!? I work from home remotely. Needless to say that will be hard without internet what could have happened that's preventing me from getting online again? Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Problem Solver

Re: Arris TG862 not going online

Check to make sure that the coax connected to the modem, does not go through a Surge protector. Also make sure that the coax is physically connected to the wall plate, not just laying loose.
Expert

Warden113 wrote:
I unplugged my modem from the coaxial cable for a few hours while setting up a new entertainment setup. I plug it back in and it won't go online.

Why did you disconnect the modem in the first place?

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

Yep this goes straight from the wall to the modem no splitters as I don't have tv, only internet.
Contributor

Triple check the cable.  Any chance anything was unhooked at the other end of the cable whereever the wall cable goes?  By you or anyone else?  You may try resetting the gateway to factory settings by pushing in the little hole in the back with a pen for about 30 seconds.  You'll know it worked if eventually all the lights go off and then all light briefly and then it starts to reset.  Call in and ask them to provision your modem.  Have them check your boot file and rate codes.  They will ask for your modem's serial number and CM MAC address.  Have them handy on a piece of paper.

If all else fails schedule a tech visit.

Contributor

Oh, and how long did you let it do that?  Your device simply could be downloading firmware.  (but unlikely if comcast said they couldn't connect to it.)

Many times I've seen gateways have to go through a 30-60 minute cycle of downloading something before it will then shut off and light up properly (and it lights exactly as you described it).  And usually it will light up and reset itself two-four times before it is finally done and stays working and is ready for service.

Expert
Official Employee

Warden, is it a gateway or modem you have? If it's a gateway and if it has a battery, take it out hook up coal then power then battery. If it's just a modem coax then power, if you do the opposite it may cause the modem to range and not lock in