Community Forum

Arris TG3482G a.k.a. XB6 Wireless Gateway Issues

Frequent Visitor

Arris TG3482G a.k.a. XB6 Wireless Gateway Issues

My installation is only 6 days old and my only choice for "Gb" service was to rent their XB6 modem/gateway.  I have a tech coming tomorrow and hope he has a Technicolor CGM4140COM for me since I swapped the Arris for another one on Monday with the same issues.  I specifically asked them for that model and asked for a supervisor to call me before the service visit to discuss, but I never received one; guess I probably won't be getting a Technicolor tomorrow either.

The original was HW Rev. 11 and the replacement HW Rev. 10.  CPU/RAM were slightly different.  They both had the following versions:
eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:  2.0.2.209
Software Image Name:  TG3482_2.8p20s1_PROD_sey
BOOT Version:  0.1.9.430478

After setting up the hardware for my environment, I noticed things were changed on me the following day.

Gateway > At a Glance no longer showed connected devices which is annoying, especially since it showed a bunch of MAC addresses from 00:00:BF:01:xx:xx that I was trying to hunt down.

Both SSID Network Passwords get changed to the first password ever set.  The first unit was partly setup by tech and had me use his phone's WiFi which I was reluctant to do so and used an easy SSID and password I later changed.  And, the default connection was HTTP!  The XB6 (or should I say Comcast?) kept changing to the first password the following day; didn’t like the fact some else’s device had access.  The worst part was the default user/password was active when I logged in via Ethernet cable and NEVER asked to change it.  Imagine all those people out there with default passwords who are not savvy enough to know this!  The second XB6 I got kept changing the password back to the default from the bottom of the unit.

When navigating to Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi, I always get a pop-up box:
Alert
Failure, please try again.

MAC Filter Setting for both SSIDs get changed to Allow-All from Allow and doesn't let me change it back.  Always get a pop-up box:
Alert
Failure, please try again.

Connected Devices > Devices no longer shows any devices and trying to add DCHP reservations becomes a real chore since you can't disable it.  I suspect the Prefer Private Connection has something to do with HTTPS but enabling/disabling it caused me headaches with not being able to get back into the UI that I left it on.

Parental Control > Managed Sites is now broken although I wasn't using it, but you can't select the sub menus.  I tried enabling/disabling the Managed Devices but was having trouble with one segment and not the other so decided to give up on it.

Troubleshooting > Network Diagnostic Tools Check for IPv4 Address Results quit working and shows Error

If I do get a Technicolor model, I’m hoping I don’t suffer from the above issues.  I especially don’t want to have the below limitations as well since I will probably drop phone service with them and just get a DOCSIS 3.1 modem of my own.

The bad of this model:

One light to rule them all - No activity, WAN, LAN, telephone etc. lights (A single light that changes color during boot up and hopefully a working connection when it's white, except for phone of course, you see no indication)

No default battery backup for phone, you must buy separately

Very limited UI

No way to change the last octet on the LAN

No way to change the subnet netmask on the LAN

No way to disable DHCP on the LAN

Password is limited to 20 upper/lower case letters and numbers only

The IPv4/6 firewalls are a total joke (to include the lack of usable log info) and defaults to Minimum Security (Low)

The default connection is HTTP and no indication HTTPS is supported

WiFi passwords are visible on any connected TV and even your account

My speeds have been inconsistent with a system directly connected to the back of the XB6 for testing (300-900Mb (saw that max twice) typically maxed at 700-800ish)

Expert

Re: Arris TG3482G a.k.a. XB6 Wireless Gateway Issues

I was told the prefer private connection option is for saying to prefer your devices connect to your private home Wi-Fi instead of the xfinitywifi

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Appreciate the info but seems to be a pretty cheesy way to not use xfinitywifi. 

Their draft guides are pretty bad too.

https://fccid.io/UIDTG3482ER/User-Manual/Users-Guide-3225599.iframe

https://fccid.io/G95CGM414X/User-Manual/User-Manual-3423783.iframe

Expert

Prior to jettisoning the XB6-A for my current setup, I had ordered a backup battery, was quoted $35 by support chat, credit card charged, but Comcast later called me back saying they needed to do a professional install, which would cost me an additional $70.

For a freaking battery.

That only protects the voice part.

No thanks. I wound up getting a relatively inexpensive APC UPS unit just for my modem and router for $30 during the holidays. 

At least my payment was credited towards my next month's bill. Cat LOL

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

Have you tried a factory reset to try wipe away the weirdness going on with it? There should be a bridge mode option in the GUI. You should be able to change subnet mask on the GUI and the xFi app.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Frequent Visitor

wrote:
Have you tried a factory reset to try wipe away the weirdness going on with it? There should be a bridge mode option in the GUI. You should be able to change subnet mask on the GUI and the xFi app.

It's a built-in limitation with only allowing legacy Network Class C, B and A; no amount of factory resets will fix this.  I want to be able to choose a /30 or /25 but can't.

Expert

What about for your other issues that you reported?

Frequent Visitor

Got the Arris SB8200 and couldn't break out of fluctuating 600-800Mb directly connected.  Then I picked up the Motorla MB8600 and was hitting 900s and even got up to 949Mb.  I'm returning the Arris and sticking with consistancy and top speed so far.  I wound up with an Arris TM822R as well for telephony duty.  I'm returning the TG3482G and never saw a confirmation they were going to send me the Technicolor, but I don't care since I don't need the WiFi, routing and monthly rental fee.

Frequent Visitor

New Poster

Keep in mind that this modem has VPN issues.  If you try to create more than one connection to the same destination VPN it wont work.  MY wife and I both need to connect to the office and it wont work

Its garbage