Community Forum

Arris TG-1682G login problem intermittently

Highlighted
Contributor

Arris TG-1682G login problem intermittently

I have had intermittent performance problems with my internet speed for a couple of months now. It's had several tech visits, and right now speed is good. 

Someone who knows cable tech stuff, please explain this, nobody has so far: when internet speed is pitifully slow or even reports "Internet connection not available", I can't login to the Arris. Either using Wi-fi or straight ethernet cable. That's the time I'd like to see the power levels and SNR, but login attempts result in one of the following: "User is blocked" (in red letters!), sometimes a screen with underlined text like it couldn't show html properly, or simply "404-Not Found". It has been really variable. Other times, I might be logged in (when speed was good), then suddenly speed drops, and the "404-Not Found" page pops up again.

Correct me if I'm wrong. It's my understanding that typing a URL in my browser, causes a lookup on a DNS server, which returns the IP address to my browser. So when I type in the IP (10.0.0.1) and normally get the Arris' log in screen, has it even used the DNS server? Why can't I log in just because the internet speed is slow? Oh, and this is the second Arris, both acted exactly the same...

Official Employee

Re: Arris TG-1682G login problem intermittently

Hi landers3, 

I can't say this is the exact cause, but to me it sounds like there may be something on the line or signal related that could be contributing to what you are seeing on your end. Could you post your signal levels, or provide your account information in a private message so I could check? To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. In the body of this message please verify the following information: 

Your first and last name
Account number or Phone number on the account
The full street address including unit number city state and zip code

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Re: Arris TG-1682G login problem intermittently

We have been out of town for several days now. Internet speed has been excellent since returning last night. That's all I can say at this time. Since the last tech and supervisor visited last week, when they looked at the line with their upscale instrumentation, discussed what they were seeing, and (I really can't say which) perhaps they corrected something upstream, or instructed someone upstream to do something, but service has remained good. Now we're back home, service was good last night and this morning. We're hopeful that whatever it was, it's resolved. Thanks for your input!