Community Forum

Arris SVG2482AC DNS Settings

Frequent Visitor

Arris SVG2482AC DNS Settings

This modem does not allow the user to change th DNS settings, it is locked to Comcast. No other modem I have owned does this. Comcast promised a fix for this back in April 2018. Where is the fix Comcast???

Tags (2)
New Poster

Re: Arris SVG2482AC DNS Settings

I am also curious when the new firmware will be released that will allow for me to change my local DNS servers on hardware that I own.  Any ideas?

Expert

FWIW, I personally have never heard anything about them ever wanting to change this policy. You can change the DNS servers in some of the individual network clients but not in the firmware that they push to gateway devices.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Just to be clear, DNS is not changed in firmware, firmware allows the user to change DNS. Yes I can set DNS on each devices, but a feature of DHCP allows you to push settings, including DNS to clients. This is the only router I have owned in which the user cannot set DNS that is pushed via DHCP.

Had I know this I would have chosen a different router.

Expert

It's a DNS forwarder. Firmware can indeed allow or disallow the feature of changing the DNS within the router / gateway device or not.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Basically, by doing this, comcast along with complicit ARRIS is saying that I cannot place my own DNS but instead must see whatever comcast wishes me to see therefore rendering my PARENTAL filters useless.

What good is it to alter the individual machines DNS?  If you want to have complete control you need to be able to do this at the router level.  Shame on you comcast.  

So much for ad filtering.  Perhaps that's the goal?

I'm going to post this thread on hackernews and a few other places and see if it gets traction since it's not had any traction for almost a year now.  

Expert

@zedzedbeta5 wrote:

Basically, by doing this, comcast along with complicit ARRIS is saying that I cannot place my own DNS but instead must see whatever comcast wishes me to see therefore rendering my PARENTAL filters useless.

What good is it to alter the individual machines DNS?  If you want to have complete control you need to be able to do this at the router level.  Shame on you comcast.  

Yup. Yer' preachin' to the choir !!! If you want more control, don't use gateway devices. They are subject to crippled firmware loads. Use your own stand-alone router with a separate cable modem and be in control of your LAN !!

Expert

@zedzedbeta5 wrote:

I'm going to post this thread on hackernews and a few other places and see if it gets traction since it's not had any traction for almost a year now.  

Actually, this thread is 4 months old.

Regular Visitor

I stand corrected, the thread is several months old however the promise is April 2018.  

There's zero reason why this functionality isn't in the hands of the consumer.  What's the official Comcast reason why it's not disclosed on the Arris Packaging?  A label would be simple.

"Please be aware, this router is useless"
"Yea, our DNS or the highway"
"Comcast - It's going to take a while to add a few text boxes to that UI sorry."  

Regular Visitor

So, basically, the only solution is to use this expensive device as a simple plain router in bridge mode.

Then, connect an actual useful device to the expensive brick.  With the useful device, you can then use the standard stuff that is common everwhere but here.  

Regular Visitor

I did what the last poster suggested and it worked.   I'm running a (https://pi-hole.net/) on 10.0.0.253 which is forever leased by the PoSVG2482ac with a start/end range of 10.0.0.253.  I statically set my my laptop and everything else on the network is DHCP from the pihole.   This works well for me.  

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Disable-built-in-DHCP-server-on-Comcast-Cisco-DPC393...

Contributor

This is very disappointing, to be locked to the Comcast DNS   Is there a plan to fix it in the future?

Also this SVG2486AC doesn't do NAT loopback, so another issue with this gateway.....