Community Forum

Arris SB8200 modem

New Poster

Arris SB8200 modem

Hello -

I upgraded to 1Gig speed and Comcast setup my new modem, a SB8200.  The modem has two Gigabyte ports but seems only one will work.  I want to run one line directly to my main computer and one line to my router.  Any ideas on why this doesn't work (I mean using both of the modem ports)?

Expert

Re: Arris SB8200 modem

You'll need an additional public / WAN IP Address from them if you want that to work. It may not even be available in your local area anymore.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks EG for the info.  I'll check to see if a second IP address is possible in my area.  Do you think it would be feasible, using just the one IP address, to add an unmanaged switch after my modem and then run one line from the switch to my computer and one line to my modem?

Expert

@1400tate wrote:

Thanks EG for the info.  I'll check to see if a second IP address is possible in my area. 

First, check the "Rate Card" for your local area to see if that feature is even available anymore. Seems that it is being phased out;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/rate-card/

It's a PDF.

Scroll down to "Xfinity Internet" and look for "Additional IP Addresses".

If nothing is listed then it's likely to have been discontinued in your local market area.

Do you think it would be feasible, using just the one IP address, to add an unmanaged switch after my modem and then run one line from the switch to my computer and one line to my modem?

Same thing. Won't work. You'd still need multiple public IP's. Hang a router off of the cable modem to get multiple private IP addys.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Got it.  Thanks very much for the help!

Expert

Quite welcome !