Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Arris SB6183 Reeeeeelly Slow.

Contributor

Arris SB6183 Reeeeeelly Slow.

I have Blast internet.  Two weeks ago I installed an Arris SB6183 (got rid of a problematic gateway).  I was getting 200Mbps download.  Today I'm getting no more than 30Mpbs.  Is there a way to troubleshoot this modem to find out what's happening?

Thanks!

Expert

Re: Arris SB6183 Reeeeeelly Slow.

What are you getting for the upload speed ?

Contributor

12Mbps

Expert

O/k. What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Is this with a router / WiFi connection ? If so, what do you get with a computer hardwired directly to the 6183 with an ethernet cable ?

Contributor

Oh boy.  I think I figured out what the problem is (but not why).  I forgot that we put in a new surge protector and ran the cable through it.  Now that I've bypassed the surge protector my numbers are up again to where they should be.  Any idea why that would kill my speed?  

Expert

Surge protectors are typically problematic on a coax line !

Contributor

Good to know.  Thanks. 

Contributor

I spoke too soon.  My connection is back to slow again.  No surge protector involved now.    

Here are my numbers:

modem.jpg

Contributor

And here is my speed....

speed.jpg

Contributor

Sporadic changes in internet speed

Sometimes I'm getting 240Mbps and other times I'm getting 2Mbps.  Had a tech out who couldn't find any problem with the lines.  Tried two different routers and they are both having the problem.  Wondering if it's the modem...

modem2.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Expert
Moved:

Re: Sporadic changes in internet speed