Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Arris SB6141 with Performance Pro Internet

Contributor

Arris SB6141 with Performance Pro Internet

I'm in the SF North Bay area (Marin) and for several years have owned an Arris SB-6141 with Comcast Performance level Internet which up until recently was 100 mbps; as of Jan 5th it increased to 150 mpbs. When speaking with a rep, she informed me that my modem may not deliver the full speed which seems odd since the spec sheet rates it at 343 mbps. https://goo.gl/cMrq5V

Running the Xfinity speed check I'm getting around 175-180 mbps. I'm contemplating replacing the SB6141 with an SB6183 though I'm not sure if it will add much more speed. It does offer 16 bonded downstream channels rather than 8 from what I can tell. I do NOT plan to upgrade to the 250 or gigabit speed tier anytime in the future. Any advice or feedback would be welcome.

Regular Contributor

Re: Arris SB6141 with Performance Pro Internet

If it's not broke, then don't fix it.  Keep that thing until it dies or comcast shuts it off.

Gold Problem Solver

jontalk wrote: ... SB-6141 with Comcast Performance ... increased to 150 mpbs ... the spec sheet rates it at 343 mbps ... I'm getting around 175-180 mbps ...

The spec sheet speed rating means little in the real world. Comcast rates the 6141 at "Up to 213 Mbps" (see https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb6141-336).

If you are subscribed to 150 Mbps service and you're getting 175, I don't understand the problem. What am I missing?

Contributor

You're not missing anything. I'm simply stating what the rep said which was that my modem may not be capable of higher speeds were there to be another increase. Therefore future proofing by replacing the SB6141 would mitigate that problem though as I said, its rated for over 300 mbps NOT the 150 she said it maxes out at. Make sense?

Expert

jontalk wrote:

I'm contemplating replacing the SB6141 with an SB6183 though I'm not sure if it will add much more speed.

FWIW, you don't automatically see a speed improvement just by switching to a modem that offers more bonded channels. You would only see an increase in speed if you were on a congested cable segment in the first place (especially at peak usage times), or if you (or they) upgraded your speed tier to a faster one.

It does offer 16 bonded downstream channels rather than 8 from what I can tell. I do NOT plan to upgrade to the 250 or gigabit speed tier anytime in the future. 

Gold Problem Solver

jontalk wrote: You're not missing anything. I'm simply stating what the rep said which was that my modem may not be capable of higher speeds were there to be another increase. ...

You're good for speeds up to 213 Mbps. If you later decide you want a speed faster than that, or Comcast bumps Performance speed past that number, then you'll need a faster modem. Of course, having a modem with more channels wouldn't hurt and, as EG described, may improve the stability of your Internet service.

Contributor

Thanks...based on what most are saying, I'll stick with the SB6141 since I'm consistently getting 178 down, 6 mbps upload speeds which says there's little conjestion if any.

New Poster

Could you provide more details about your connection?  I assume you have home wifi where you are getting these speeds?  I have the same modem and the same performance pro internet, but am not getting nearly the same speeds.  I have a Belkin AC1200 Dual Band Gigabit router.  Router says I should be pulling 30/6 (which still isn't what I'm paying for), but other tests I've run are showing 10/5.  Is that because I have home wifi?  Is it my router?