Community Forum

Any gig router slowing gig connection by 80%+

New Poster

Any gig router slowing gig connection by 80%+

I have a Motorola MB8600 (it is modem only btw, no routing) that when directly wired to multiple test machines is hitting gigabit speeds. However, when placing a gigabit router in the network (I have tried a Linksys WRT3200ACM and a D-Link DGL-5500; both gigabit routers) the speed drops off to less than 200M. I have tested with multiple Cat5e and Cat6 cabling. I have reset and factory reset on both routers multiple times. But no matter what, when running the MB8600 into a router the speed crashes. And when you then pull the routers out of the mix and wire the MB8600 straight to a computer or Xbox it rockets back up to 900M+. 

So what in the world would cause multiple gigabit routers tested with factory resets and multiple cables to throttle the pass-through speed by 80%?

Expert

Re: Any gig router slowing gig connection by 80%+

Is the router's firmware up to date?

Have you tried the following steps?

1. Unplug modem and router for about 30-60 seconds.
  2. Plug modem back in first.
  3. After modem initializes and fully comes online, power the router back on.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Firmware up to date.

It’s literally the fourth sentence.
Diamond Problem Solver

Are there any QOS /WMM settings enabled in the routers ?

Expert

@Dawginole2 wrote:

I have a Motorola MB8600 (it is modem only btw, no routing) that when directly wired to multiple test machines is hitting gigabit speeds. However, when placing a gigabit router in the network (I have tried a Linksys WRT3200ACM and a D-Link DGL-5500; both gigabit routers) the speed drops off to less than 200M. I have tested with multiple Cat5e and Cat6 cabling. I have reset and factory reset on both routers multiple times. But no matter what, when running the MB8600 into a router the speed crashes. And when you then pull the routers out of the mix and wire the MB8600 straight to a computer or Xbox it rockets back up to 900M+. 

So what in the world would cause multiple gigabit routers tested with factory resets and multiple cables to throttle the pass-through speed by 80%?

I take it you've restarted the modem as well when you put the routers in place? 

Another thing that might help is MAC Address Cloning - try using that feature on either router, preferably using the MAC of one of the computers you used to test.

EDIT: I just realized you have an MB8600, you're only using LAN 1 of the 4 ethernet ports on it at any time, yes? And you don't have Link Aggregation enabled in its settings?

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Nope, that's disabled.

Somehow by putting my laptop behind a gig switch in line with the WRT3200 it fixed the issue just with the laptop. I've hit 940M on the laptop now off network in prime time.

Everything else is still struggling. Very strange.
Topic covered in more detail here: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32065354-Any-gig-router-slowing-gig-connection-by-80-Why