Community Forum

Advice on a splitter

Contributor

Advice on a splitter

I have Comcast Internet today and it is a straight run to my cable modem. I am planning to leave Directv and add HDTV to my Comcast account.  I will need a three way splitter (Internet,TV, TV) The internet run is 50 ft, 1st TV is 35 ft and 2ed Tv is 15 ft.  I am not sure which Splitter I need. I have been looking at the Extreme Splitter. The unbalanced 3 way ports are -3.5, -7.0 and -7.0 bd. There is a balance one with -5.0 db on all three ports.  I was thinging the unbalance one and use the -3.5db for internet and the two -7 for tv. any suggestions or recommendations? The service line to my house is about 150 ft. 

thanks

Expert

Re: Advice on a splitter

It really depends on how adequate the incoming signal is in the first place. It is typically a better practice to put the cable modem on the 3.5 dB loss tap of a 3-way unbalanced splitter but if you are using X1 TV boxes, they are also less forgiving of weak signals as are cable modems. You may need to try different wiring configs.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

any suggestions on different wire configs.  System is 2 TVs and 1 cable modem.  Thinking this is a common house setup.

Frequent Visitor

If you have no other splitters, I'd put a splitter in the outdoor box that takes main Xfinity line.  Then hook the run for you cable modem into the homerun to the modem.  Then hook the run to your TV's to another plug on the splitter.

This way, if the TV side has other splitters, you don't get that loss on the modem.

If it's just a single line coming into the house, install your splitter at the most convenient location (mine is in the box, with a homerun to modem, then a homerun to other coax locations).  

A lot of modern houses have homeruns to everything now and do splitting in the outdoor box.  I rewired my house years ago (when wifi was slower) with Ethernet and RG6-Quad homeruns to all locations.

Main takeaway:  Do what you need to make sure you have only one splitter between pole and modem.  Max of two spitters (including the one you just added) between main line and any TV's.

Gold Problem Solver

@Nepsa wrote: ... I will need a three way splitter (Internet,TV, TV) ...

Consider using a bidirectional "zero gain" PPC or Commscope 5 port amp. These are a combination of a 5 port splitter combined with an amplifier that compensates for the splitter's loss, so that [amp gain] = [spitter loss]. Comcast uses these for X1 installations, especially when connecting more than one or two devices to the coax.

Contributor

After reviewing all the recommendations, I have decided to go with the PPC Evolution 5 way digital U/U.   Thanks for the input.