Community Forum

Admin screen shows device connected to ethernet

New Poster

Admin screen shows device connected to ethernet

When I go into the admin area where you can manage devices and all of that, it now shows something connected to my ethernet,however; I don't have anything directly connected to my modem everything is Wireless it shows the MAC address or whatever you call it, but no way to get rid of that device. is that normal? I don't remember ever seen that before
Screenshot_20180812-152245.png
Expert

Re: Admin screen shows device connected to ethernet

The device shows as made by the Hefei Bitland Information Co, which is a subsidiary of Shenzen. These guys make a bunch of internet connected devices. Could be anything from an IP camera, a Smart Hub,  or a laptop. Since it's not connected right now, you can safely ignore it. 

Since you have a Comcast gateway, you can log into your account at Xfinity xFi (if you have access) and manage your network from there. You can be notified if new devices connect to your network, for instance. 

The gateway keeps a history of devices that connected to it. Unfortunately the only way to remove it from the list in your gateway's Admin Control Panel is to Reset the gateway to Factory settings. You'll likely lose any customized settings, although you will have the ability to restore most of it through Xfinity xFi. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thank you for the information I was just wondering if you looked at the picture the screenshot do you see exactly what I'm talking about. Or? I I have been having problems with some neighbors and I know this is going to seem completely paranoid but I live in a duplex and my neighbor does not have any Xfinity anything but there are there's one section that's been there's new cable put up but it runs over her apartment and goes to the next duplex which I'm having issues with can they access my stuff from outside?
Expert

The device shows only its MAC address, not an IP address. Meaning at one time it was connected, but it isn't anymore. My best guess is that it was the install technician's device that he used to test your gateway to make sure it's working fine.

As far as your neighbor? Unless your neighbor has physical access to your Comcast gateway they're not going to be able to connect to it via Ethernet. As long as you have a good WiFi password and don't tell it to anyone you'll be ok.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!