Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Additional residential Dynamic IP address

Frequent Visitor

Additional residential Dynamic IP address

Hi,
I recently purchased an Arris SB8200 under the assumption that my Xfinity Home router could utilize the additional WAN port. After doing some research, I realized that I would need to pay for an additional dynamic IP. According to the Comcast rate card for my area, they are are available for $4.95, but none of the Xfinity Support knew how to go about adding it.

Anyone have advice on where to go from here?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Official Employee

Re: Additional residential Dynamic IP address

whorable, I show that additional dynamic/ static Ip's are not available in your area. Have a good day. 

All Replies
Expert

Try asking for a tier 2 rep or a supervisor. Or we can get an employee here to help you.

Can you not use a router connected to one of the ports on the 8200 for your home networking needs ?

Frequent Visitor

I’ve actually gone through half a dozen various routers hoping for better results, but hooked up to my main router in every possible configuration, the XH Router bogs down the entire system. Now I’m stuck paying for security I can’t use.
Expert

Don't use the XH home router for networking. Only use it for the home security system. Hang a high quality retail available router off of the 8200 modem, and then hang the home security router off of one of that router's LAN / ethernet ports.

Frequent Visitor

I don’t use the XH router for anything aside from security components. It was hooked up as you described, which bogged the entire system. My networking router is an EA9300.
Expert

O/k, sorry. I guess I misunderstood this comment;

"the XH Router bogs down the entire system"

Frequent Visitor

When it was originally installed, the tech placed it upstream of my main router, saying that it functions better that way. When he left, I ran it off one of the lan ports on my main, that in turn, caused the security system run very poorly.

Much rather pay for an extra IP and run it off the other wan on the 8200, than be stuck with a subpar security system.
Expert

@whorable 

The extra residential IPs have been phased out in some areas. An employee can check for you. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much! Really appreciate it.
Expert

@whorable wrote:

You stated;

"According to the Comcast rate card for my area, they are are available for $4.95, but none of the Xfinity Support knew how to go about adding it."

I'm going to try escalating this to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. You should get a reply here in your topic.

Official Employee

Hi whorable, I can check and see if having a static IP is offered in your area. Can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me"?

Frequent Visitor

Sent!
Official Employee

whorable, I show that additional dynamic/ static Ip's are not available in your area. Have a good day.