Community Forum

Adding a 2nd router as a bridge to the Xfinity ARRIS Gateway

Frequent Visitor

Adding a 2nd router as a bridge to the Xfinity ARRIS Gateway

I am would like to add a 2nd router as a bridge to the XFinity Arris Gateway.  I googled it but the instructions vary.  The 2nd router is a Linksys  N300 Model #E1200.  

Can someone provide insturctions using these 2 items?

Thank you.

Expert

Re: Adding a 2nd router as a bridge to the Xfinity ARRIS Gateway

Adding a second router as a bridge? Bridge to what? What exactly are you trying to do here?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I presume I am using the wrong terminalogy.  I want to add a 2nd router to extend the wifi signal in my house.  I do not think I need a second ssid.  Is this possible?

Silver Problem Solver

@RobbS wrote:

I presume I am using the wrong terminalogy.  I want to add a 2nd router to extend the wifi signal in my house.  I do not think I need a second ssid.  Is this possible?

I use the Orbi system for my wifi; I put my XB6 in Bridge Mode which turns off the XB6 wifi signal.  The Orbi provides a single SSID that works with both 2.4 and 5.0.

You can do the same with just about any third-party router; you can even use your own purchased modem instead of the Xfinity modem.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

That is great.  do you have the step by step instructions?  I searched an there are several and none of them use the same steps?

Expert

@RobbS wrote:

It's not the terminology, but the lack of detail. 

You'll need to go to the official product support page and download the latest version of the Cisco Connect software that's appropriate to your router version. You will then be able to set up the router according to how you want it set up.

You can also manually set up your new router in Bridge Mode using these instructions

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!