Community Forum

Adding a 2nd modem

New Poster

Adding a 2nd modem

Our modem for tv/internet/phone is in the basement. I may soon work from home, which would require an internet connection. THe best place to set up my work area would be on the 2nd floor and I do not want to try to run an ethernet cable from the basement. I have an existing, tho not active, coax connection in the upstairs room. If I make that connection active can I put a 2nd modem on it for the work connection? ps - wireless connection for work not an option.

Thanks.

Expert

Re: Adding a 2nd modem

Most areas don’t allow a second modem. If your area does means you will have to pay for an additional internet subscription. 1 internet speed tier subscription for 1 modem. An alternate option for you would be MoCA adapters.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Adding to jweaver0312, if you have coax in that room, you could just move your present modem. There are lots of networking options, adding a second modem for internet use just isn’t one of them

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Expert

Powerline adapters might be an option for you too .

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.