Community Forum

Activation

Contributor

Activation

Does a router that you personally buy and install have to be activated by Comcast?  I am still using my modem for my desktop computer  and the router is for my ipad and when guests are in my home.

Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Activation

@gizmo37 wrote:

Does a router that you personally buy and install have to be activated by Comcast?  I am still using my modem for my desktop computer  and the router is for my ipad and when guests are in my home.

Thank you.

Modem or router?  Modems have to be activated.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Problem Solver

No.  Your router on your home network does not need to be activated with Comcast.  Your modem, of course, does need activation which you have done.  You should be able to connect your router via ethernet to your modem and connect all your devices to your router.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Expert

And you will need to power-cycle the cable modem when you connect a stand-alone router to it in order to obtain internet connectivity.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello @gizmo37, thanks for reaching out to our Forums! I hope all the useful information provided was helpful. Please be sure to let us know if you have any other questions and please send me a Private Message if you need assistance getting your modem activated. We're here to help! Thanks and we appreciate you choosing Comcast as your provider. 

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastAmira" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!