Community Forum

Activating a used modem that was just working

New Poster

Activating a used modem that was just working

Has anyone tried activating a used modem, SB6121? My neighbor was using this modem for Blast speed (150Mbps), he was got my to switch to Comcast and i only needed 25Mbps.  He got Comcast to activate his new modem and remove SB6121 from his account. 3 days later when i tried to activate his SB6121 over the phone, the agent said that this modem belongs to his account still obviously is not true. He got on the phone to give the rep permission to remove it from his account, and when the rep said he can't activate this because he received an error, although he said the modem should work. He said to bring the modem to xFinity store to get it added to my account. Which i knew they would try to sell me a new modem that i don't need, because i have 25Mbps internet plan. Went to the store and they said SB6121 is not compatible, buy a new one. Is this something Comcast agents don't know what to do or they need backend engineers to get the Serial/Mac added to their system?

Expert

Re: Activating a used modem that was just working

That modem was grandfathered in for those who already were using one but it is now no longer supported;

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb6121-365

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Doesn't matter if it is supported or recommend or currently supported. I understand Comcast changes their compatible modem list constantly. This modem was working fine. It does not make sense to force customers to get new modem when the internet plan is only 25Mbps down.

Expert

@Seniorlw wrote:

Doesn't matter if it is supported or recommend or currently supported. .

It's their game and their ball.........

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I got it working. It's all about speaking to the experience tech. The first tier agents are not experienced. If you are a long time Comcast customer, most likely you know more about Comcast them these agents.
Expert

Hmmm.... Consider yourself lucky !