Community Forum

Abnormal broadband usage

Contributor

Abnormal broadband usage

" shut modem off for more than 24 hours - check data use - leave off for more than 24 more hours - check data use.  If it keeps climbing during that, then they must have something else attached to your account." 

or there is something off about the Comcast meter.  Is that impossible to consider?

I am at 242 GB for the month of August...   on Aug 6th.   I am monitoring the network as best I can and I do not see where this amount of data is being used.  

Using the utility meter analogy that is offered up here, there should be a way to see the wheels turning in the meter at any moment, as you can with a electric or water meter.  I don't think utilities get to mask their meter and report approximate usage for month to date at any moment with no breakdown of actual demand/usage at any given moment.

<edited for violating forum guidelines>

Highlighted
Administrator

Re: Abnormal broadband usage

@smallblueplanet,

Thanks for posting your question in the Xfinity Forum. Unplugging your modem can help to reduce the amount of data that is being used in your home. However, there are other factors that go into calculating your data usage. For example, all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and Xfinity apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage. 

For more information about the Xfinity Data Plan, see here: https://dataplan.xfinity.com/

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

My data usage jumped from around 500G per month for a year straight to over 1.4T for 3 months in a row.  The kicker is, nothing has chaged in our household.  I contacted comcast and they routed me to some person who was readng from a usless script.  They are zero help.    

Bronze Problem Solver

Hello and thank you for reaching out in the Forums. Have you tried contacting our Security Team? 

Customer Security Assurance Team Contact Information

• CSA Toll-Free Number: 1-888-565-4329
  • CSA Data Usage Escalations: 1-877-807-6581
  • CSA Copyright Escalations: 1-877-842-2112

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

As far as abnormal data usage, the most common things we've found to cause them are (not necessarily in this order):

1. Online backup services (Carbonite, Backblaze, Amazon Web Services, One Drive, Google Drive)
  2. Malware (rogue software installs, viruses and trojans, hacking tools, browser addons, cryptojacking)
  3. Torrenting (BIttorrent and related apps)
  4. Online video streaming and uploading (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube, Xfinity Stream)
  5. Game consoles (XBox Live, Twitch)
  6. X1 Cable Box streaming (any internet app on the X1 platform counts)
  7. Personal router internal diagnosis tools 

Since nobody has exactly the same hardware and network configuration, people are just going to have to monitor their usage and troubleshoot individually. 

Some good tools to have:

1. Network Traffic monitoring apps such as Wireshark and GlassWire.
  2. Xfinity xFi if you have a Comcast xFI enabled gateway. If you have a personal router, check if it has a built in data usage monitoring tool. 
  3. For Windows 10 users, the OS has built in Usage Monitoring
  4. Malware scanning tools like Norton Secuity Online, which is free to Comcast customers.
  5. Remove any browser extensions you don't use, and keep a close eye on those you do. 
  6. Update your software regularly, including routers and household devices. 

Also remember that both downloads and uploads count in computation of bandwidth caps. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thank you for your help.  I will try the to look for something that is running that I wasn't expecting.  But I have my network locked down petty tight.  I have usage monitors built into the mu Unifi USG-4Pro that give me good data usage information.  I don't have anything that has changed dramatically to cause this huge data usage swing.  Something tells me Comcast is either measuring differently or inaccurately.

Regular Contributor

Check the terrabyte usage thread (the last 2 pages at least)  for a discussion of Unify modems.  Their traffic monitoring is known to be faulty and they have a feature that can cause them to do regular automatic speed tests at your expense.  (Fortunately the speed test feature can be turned off.)