I just ordered an ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 because it looked like the most "future proof" modem in the comcast compatibility list. Has anyone installed one of these, and was installing it as simple as the sticky post about installing your own cable modem makes it sound?
(I really, really don't want the "wireless gateway" comcast sent email about - I've already got my own wireless router and I don't need voice, just internet).
Solved! Go to Solution.
I actually received mine and installed it sometime last week. Yes! It is incredibly easy to setup. Took no longer than 15 minutes, and I didn't need to call them on the phone. You should be able to figure it out, but here is something like how my install went.
I plugged it in, and it rebooted a few times within maybe 5-10 minutes. Once my router detected an IP from the modem, I attempted to go to www.google.com where a Comcast activation page popped up. After signing in, and activating the modem, it restarted one last time. When it came back... vwella! Internet.
Gah! It didn't go at all well. The modem seemed to get connected when I hooked it up, it downloaded some software which took about 15 minutes and all the lights stopped flashing (which is supposed to mean it is connected).
But I couldn't use it to get anyplace on the internet, especially not to comcast.com/activate.
It was talking to something. I could lookup DNS addresses, so the DNS server was working, but if I try to traceroute anything it gets several hops then always stops with 18.104.22.168 as the last address it got to. Nothing but **** after that.
I tried doing the activate from my cellphone web browser over LTE and the comcast web pages reported everything was wonderful, but when I looked at the devices it thinks I have connected, it showed the old modem, not the new one.
Eventually I gave up and put the old modem back and I have internet access again. If I do a traceroute to any of the addresses I tried before that 22.214.171.124 address does not show up at all. In fact the only address in common seems to be the first hop after it gets past the cable modem.
Maybe Christmas day was just a bad time to try this :-). Maybe 126.96.36.199 was supposed to be the one automagically redirecting me to comcast.com/activate, but if so, it wasn't working.
Well, I can get to it now since I put the old modem back, but when I had the SB6190 connected, I couldn't get anywhere, and I'm pretty sure the activate.comcast.com address was one I tried. I'll do a factory reset on the SB6190 in case the software download was corrupted or something and try again tomorrow, but I need the internet connection now, so I don't have time to play with it any more right now.
The activate page does not work in all Comcast area's. There are some markets you still need to contact Comcast support and supply them with the HFC MAC addess, SN and model of the modem.
Around here, outside Chicago the comcast.com/activate only works with new equipment supplied by Comcast like DTA's, cable boxes and gateways and not for retail purchased equipment like modems. Here you always have to call for retail modem installations or upgrade replacements and I install a lot of modems for customers.
I did a ugrade to a retail 6190 this week for someone and had to contact support.
I guess I'll gather up all that info before I try again, and if the web site activation still doesn't work, I'll give them a call (I didn't bother calling yesterday because I figured Christmas day would be a bad time to try to get support on the line :-).
Nice of them to provide instructions on their web site that imply the activation page works everywhere.
I did indeed have to call customer service, but after reading the MAC address back and forth a half dozen times to get all the digits correct, it did get activated, and I'm now using the new modem and getting internet access.
FWIW, I just upgraded my Ubee 3513 to the Arris SurfBoard SB6190 and if you're the Sunnyvale, CA, probably best to call tech support to get your modem activated. As I was unable to use the online activation webpage and it wasn't until tech support added my device's MAC address to my account that it finally went online. Total time was over an hour...