Community Forum

ARRIS SB8200 WON'T WORK WITH COMCAST SERVICE

Highlighted
New Poster

ARRIS SB8200 WON'T WORK WITH COMCAST SERVICE

I have a 275M dl speed subscription.  I got an Arris SB8200 about a year and a half ago, and it tooke the tech 8 hours on the phone with various people to get it to work.  Something about the security settings.  But it's worked fine since then -- until yesterday.

Yesterday, my internet connection went out.  I happened to have purchased a second ARRIS SB8200 modem for my wife's office last week that we haven't installed yet.  The tech came out today and everything indicated it was working fine, except that for some reason, there was no internet service.  We tried the brand new SB8200 - same thing.  So he made me rent a Comcast modem (piece of junk) for $13.95 per month to get internet service.  That works.

He agreed that my modems were fine, but he told me there is no way to figure out why they won't interface with Comcast's service.  He told me that Arris doesn't interface well with Comcast - sometimes they work and sometimes they dont't.  He suggested I keep buying different brands of modem (starting with Netgear) and see which one (if any) would work, and that if no third-party modem would work in my house, I'd just have to rent from Comcast.

This is not acceptable.  The SB8200 is a fine modem, and it's on Comcast's list of accetable equipment.  

Why won't the SB8200 interface with Comcast's signal properly?  As I recall, the tech last year (who spent 8 hours on the phone) had to fiddle with some security settings on my computer/router, but I can't remember what he did.   He had to get to the fourth level of help in Comcast's IT department until he found a lady that knew what the answer was.

Can anyone help??

Highlighted
Expert

Re: ARRIS SB8200 WON'T WORK WITH COMCAST SERVICE

There's nothing wrong with the SB8200. I used one for nearly a year, and it worked perfectly well on my  gigabit speed tier subscription. 

Did you by chance test the modem directliy connected to a PC, without a router involved? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!