Community Forum

80 Mbps from Xfinity speed test with 250 Mbps plan

Frequent Visitor

80 Mbps from Xfinity speed test with 250 Mbps plan

I get 80 Mbps from the xfinity speed test, even though I have the 250 Mbps extreme Internet plan with my account. I've tried all of the modem resets and such suggested by tech support.

Can someone help troubleshoot this issue?

Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 9.54.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 9.54.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 9.55.16 PM.png
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 80 Mbps from Xfinity speed test with 250 Mbps plan

Is there a router / WiFi in the mix ? If so, what do you get with a computer connected directly to the modem ?

Frequent Visitor

That test was connected directly to the modem.

Diamond Problem Solver

What do you get for the upload speed ?

Frequent Visitor

My latest test showed a 89.9 Mbps download speed and a 23.4 Mbps upload speed

A technician came out today and temporarily installed an XB6 Wireless Gateway (CGM4140COM), which gave me the expected speed around 280 Mbps download. He suggested that this may be a Docsis 3.0 versus Docsis 3.1 issue, since my ARRIS SB6183 modem is Docsis 3.0. Could it be possible that I need a Docsis 3.1 modem?

I don't think there is an issue with my specific cable modem, since I was seeing the exact same results of about 80 Mbps from a SB6141 modem that I was using before I replaced it with the SB6183 . Is there any way I can get my SB6183 modem working with the expected speed or do I need to buy a Docsis 3.1 modem?

Diamond Problem Solver

Hmmm.... You shouldn't need a DOCSIS 3.1 capable modem for that speed, only for gigabit speed. I get almost 300 Mbps down with their 20% over-provisioning on the 250 tier with an SB6183.

Frequent Visitor

Can anyone from Comcast help troubleshoot this issue?

Diamond Problem Solver

I'm going to try escalating your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to this forum. You should expect a reply hete in your thread.
Official Employee

I can certainly check this for you from here if you would like. To protect the privacy of your account, can you provide your full name, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services? To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastShane asked for my account info and MAC address of my cable modem and then went dark on me. Is there someone else from Comcast that can help me before I bail out and try a Docsis 3.1 modem?

Frequent Visitor

Your not alone with speed dropping and no help. Mine has dropped also to half of what my contract  specifies. They have also been resetting my modem during the middle of the day for 2 weeks now , but  strangely their site says no outages. I wonder howmany  other customers they have taken speed from without rechecking the line speeds after they futz with stuff on the pole. Bridge of contract is a big issue with this cable company and they pretend to not know anything about it when asked.

Frequent Visitor

I've ruled out the possibility that the issue is my cable modem, since I installed a new MB8600 modem today and I get nearly the same results (92.8 Mbps) with the speed test: 

It appears that my account is provisioned wrong for customer-owned equipment or something to that effect, since using Comcast's equipment gives me the expected speed.

Once again, is there anyone from Comcast that can help me?

Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 7.10.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 7.14.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 7.14.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 7.16.13 AM.png
Diamond Problem Solver

Deleted.

Frequent Visitor

Should I have that boot file even though I don't have gigabit internet service?

Diamond Problem Solver

No. It's my mistake. Sorry. Disregard.