Community Forum

5ghz is missing from wifi

New Poster

5ghz is missing from wifi

When i came home from work yesterday, i noticed my iPad wasnt connected to wifi so i opened up settings and the only option for my wifi was (mywifiname)2.4ghz. The 5ghz was not an option. Than a few moments later i noticed the same issue with my Iphone 7 and my room mates were also having the same issue. We have previously had our devices all connected to the 5ghz band. No one changed anything with the router or modem, the night before it was working fine. Ive been looking for answers online but havent seen anything helpful.

The devices DO support 5ghz band. The network names are different as each one is labeled 2.4 and 5. I tried to log into the network using the 10.0.0.2 but it would never load. I was using my desktop computer which is hardwired into the router when I tried to do that.
Expert

Re: 5ghz is missing from wifi

Could have been a firmware update sent by them that botched things up ? Have you first tried power cycling the gateway ? Use 10.0.0.1 for access.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I tried powering down the router and modem but same issue still. Yes 10.0.0.1 is what i tried and it just never loaded anything. Ill try again tonight when i get home. What should i look for once im in there?
Expert

@MM05 wrote:
I tried powering down the router and modem but same issue still. Yes 10.0.0.1 is what i tried and it just never loaded anything. Ill try again tonight when i get home. What should i look for once im in there?

You wrote that you used 10.0.0.2....

There are other methods of access;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/xfinity-xfi-overview/

You are looking for the setting to make sure that the 5 GHz band radio is still enabled.

If nothing works, as a last resort, the gateway device may need to be hard reset back to factory defaults by using the recessed reset button on the rear. It must be pressed and held in for 30 seconds. If you do so, you will lose any custom settings that have been made, and things will need to re-configured from scratch.

You are lloking to 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!