Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

5GHz WIFI randomly loses internet connectivity

New Poster

5GHz WIFI randomly loses internet connectivity

I have an xfinity gateway - Dual-band WIFI XB3. The Power light, US/DS, and Online are on steady, and the 2.4GHz and 5GHz lights flash continually during normal operation. I am having a new problem (for about the past month) where the 5GHz wifi loses it's connection to the internet randomly. Devices remain connected to the gateway - but no internet. The 2.4GHz wifi works just fine throughout. I have been on online chats with Comcast reps during these outages, and each time they remotely test/reset my router, and each time nothing changes. First, I lose the chat session completely and it never comes back up (even though the rep says it will) - or it comes back up for a moment and then disappears permanently, and then eventually the 5 GHz connection comes back up - but always drops internet again eventually. I will check the light status next time this happens. Here are some logs from my router from yesterday, when I know this happened (according to another member of the household - I was already in bed). Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 7.46.07 AM.png

Also, some stats that might be helpful. I was connected to the 5GHz wifi when I took these screenshots

Screen Shot 2017-12-31 at 7.44.50 AM.png

I don't want to get into another long chat with the comcast rep only to have the exact same experience. Any ideas what's going on here? I am somewhat technically capable and am willing to try to troubleshoot this myself, but I need to know what to try. Thanks in advance for your help!

New Poster

Re: 5GHz WIFI randomly loses internet connectivity

I need some help here, please. I'd love a suggestion re what to try next. I notice that the screenshot images I attached of my logs don't show up in my post unless I hit reply. Not sure why, but they are definitely here. Let me know if there is more info needed to troubleshoot. Thanks!

Expert

Re: 5GHz WIFI randomly loses internet connectivity

FWIW, I can see them and the signal stat figures that you posted are in spec. You may want to try having the device swapped out for another one. Good luck !