Community Forum

5GHz Signal Severe Issues

Regular Contributor

5GHz Signal Severe Issues

I have a TG1682G. I have had it for maybe four years now. Have not had this issue in the past and regardless of where I am in my house I have been receiving speeds on the 5 GHz network from 250 Mb per second upwards

About two weeks ago, I suddenly noticed that the 5 GHz network is constantly disconnecting from all devices no matter their location in the house. I have a very very weak signal from it once I leave the room the modem is in but when I am in the room with the modem I get the consistent 300 Mb per second connection. I have made no changes whatsoever to cause this to happen. The 2 GHz network is fine Albeit it performs at about half the speed.

I did call Comcast yesterday and they re-provisioned my modem and I did a power cycle. It does not seem to have fixed the problem because I’m still having the issues.

I am really not sure what to do now because again I have done nothing to make this change in all the sudden it’s like that and That antenna is worthless. Can anyone help? Do I need to upgrade to the new modem?
Expert

Re: 5GHz Signal Severe Issues

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

There are other options. Google for WiFi repeaters / range extenders, WiFi mesh systems / pods, powerline ethernet adapters, MoCA adapters. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

While I appreciate the links, my original posts states I never had any issues with reception in my house and basically 2 weeks ago by doing absolutely nothing new the 5GHz basically went to heck! The signal strength is poor to say the least.  Used to be fine, never dropping and always high strength.

Comcast re-provisioned the modem yesterday and I did a power cycle, no help.  The 2GHz is fine.  I feel that there may be a modem issue and I need a new one.  Why would it just die out like that?

Expert

Stuff happens. Try getting it swapped out for another.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Wish I didn't have to but it seems that the 5 GHz has lost it's range all of the sudden.  How does one get it swapped and can I get the newest model and is it worth it?

Expert

Bring it to your local Comcast store. You can request the latest and the greatest but you'll get whatever they have in stock.

Regular Contributor

I get you.  i was just hoping this was some sot of common issue and there was a fix.  I am at the mercy of the Comcast Gods now and may end up worse off...

Regular Contributor

Well, tech came out today and I did have a defective modem.  Got the new X86 and all is well.  Question, what is the transmit speed for it?  Can it technically wi-fi at 1 GBS in perfect conditions?  I know internet speed is not that fast but network speed with it is 1 GBS wireless capable?  I know ethernet is 1 GBS but is wi-fi as well?

Silver Problem Solver

@Ringfinger wrote:

Well, tech came out today and I did have a defective modem.  Got the new X86 and all is well.  Question, what is the transmit speed for it?  Can it technically wi-fi at 1 GBS in perfect conditions?  I know internet speed is not that fast but network speed with it is 1 GBS wireless capable?  I know ethernet is 1 GBS but is wi-fi as well?

I know from years of experiece that wifi can not be as fast as an ethernet connection.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-wifi-gigabit-download-speeds

http://speedtest.xfinity.com/devicespeeds

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Oh sure, I understand that. I’m just wondering what the theoretical Wi-Fi capability speed is for this new modem. I know I’ll never get it but I’m just curious what the theoretical speed is. The network card in my computer can only receive up to 433 Mb per second so I don’t expect over that but I’m just curious again what the modem is capable of in theory.