Community Forum

5G WiFi Speed 5 x Faster Than Ethernet

New Poster

5G WiFi Speed 5 x Faster Than Ethernet

I have tried all tests and this makes no sense!
If i use a new Cat5e partch cable DIRECTLY from the Xfinity modem/router, to laptop the speed is 58Mbps. However, on 5G WiFi i get 289Mbps.
I have tried multiple laptops Mac & Windows. Same results.
I called customer support this week and actually swapped out the modem/router this week. The issue is the same with the new Router/Modem.
New Poster

Re: 5G WiFi Speed 5 x Faster Than Ethernet

You said you're using a CAT5e cable? That's very likely your issue as CAT5e is limited to 1GB vs CAT6 which is rated to 10GB.

Try using a new CAT6 cable; that may be the source of your issue.

Silver Problem Solver

@LarikD wrote:
If i use a new Cat5e partch cable DIRECTLY from the Xfinity modem/router, to laptop the speed is 58Mbps. However, on 5G WiFi i get 289Mbps.
I called customer support this week and actually swapped out the modem/router this week. The issue is the same with the new Router/Modem.

You should probably post this in the Internet>Your Home Network forum.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@LarikD wrote:
  1. What's your speed tier?
  2.  What's the make of the gateway that you have? 
  3. Did you try a different cable to rule that out at least?
  4. Have you done the basic troubleshooting steps outlined in this thread

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@DaddyDrew1370 wrote:

You said you're using a CAT5e cable? That's very likely your issue as CAT5e is limited to 1GB vs CAT6 which is rated to 10GB.

Try using a new CAT6 cable; that may be the source of your issue.

FWIW, cat5e fully supports 1Gb.  Even if it didn't, it wouldn't yield some arbitrary speed like the 58 Mbps that the OP is getting. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!