Community Forum

2nd Tech coming out Tuesday. What can I do to prepare best to help him figure out and fix the issue?

New Poster

2nd Tech coming out Tuesday. What can I do to prepare best to help him figure out and fix the issue?

Hi,

First time post here so go easy on me for i'm pretty ignorant when it comes to network stuff.

My buddy and I are gamers. We live in an apartment and noticed some lag type behavior going on while in multiple online games. After a couple google searches, I figured out the issue was packet loss via numerous ping tests to google. On average, we get about 2-15% packet loss, (depending on how many packets we want to send), and this really makes our gaming experience horrendous..

Anyways, after we discovered the issue was packet loss I did some tests mostly with our hardware. I swapped out both the router and modem for different models to no avail. I ran the ping test through both modems only to no avail. I tried connecting my modem to different rooms with different coaxs to no avail. We then called and had a tech out. He swapped out a splitter and said "you'll be fine" and left. So after calling support again, and having them notice some packet loss issues, they are sending a 2nd support out Tuesday of this week. Is there anything I can do or suggest for the tech while he is out here?

Thanks for any and all insight.
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: 2nd Tech coming out Tuesday. What can I do to prepare best to help him figure out and fix the is

The upstream power is too high and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort before you get the tech visit to try to obtain better connectivity, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to let the tech figure it out.

New Poster

Re: 2nd Tech coming out Tuesday. What can I do to prepare best to help him figure out and fix the is

I appreciate your reply!

Yeah, the tech that initially came out swapped out the splitter and also altered the ends of the coax cables I was using so that they had silver endings that needed tightened rather than gold.