Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

2gHz Wifi, 5gHz Wifi and Ethernet speed comparison - bottom line, use Ethernet if possible

Frequent Visitor

2gHz Wifi, 5gHz Wifi and Ethernet speed comparison - bottom line, use Ethernet if possible

I have the BLAST! internet service of 100mb/s. Using a spectrum analyzer I see that my Wifi signals on both 2 and 5 gHz are far above any others in the neighborhood so interference is not a problem. All the systems I can see (30+) are on all the time, though they may not be passing any data all the time since all I can see is single signals, not the modulation on them.

Using the OOKLA speed test, I notice that 2gHz Wifi will never get above 40mb/s regardless of the time of day, less than half the 100mb/s speed I pay for.

5gHz Wifi will easily get to 100mb/s most of the time, but at certain times of day it will slow considerably.

Ethernet, using a cable between my PC and the Comcast gateway, will always give 100mb/s+, often getting to 120mb/s regardless of the time of day.

The other evening I watched a movie starting out using Wifi. The movie would stutter and halt. I connected the Ethernet cable and everything was fine. I am in a 24 unit building with everyone using Comcast under a bulk contract. It appears that Ethernet is the way to go under this situation, despite the spectrum analyzer display that shows I have Wifi signal margin to spare.

Accepted Solutions
Regular Contributor

Re: 2gHz Wifi, 5gHz Wifi and Ethernet speed comparison - bottom line, use Ethernet if possible

Wired wins every time if your box is up to the task.  I had a router that turned out to be a bottleneck with gig ports topping out at 250M.  Anyway... If you own your router you can tweak the settings to improve things a bit.  Managing the channels with a manual setting will net you better wifi speeds.  I can speedtest over wifi up to 500-550M on 5Ghz.  I'm waiting on a couple of wifi cards that should put that up to the line speed around 950M though.  100M speeds shouldn't be an issue unless your router is out of date or you're running G/N instead of AC.  

All Replies
Regular Contributor

Re: 2gHz Wifi, 5gHz Wifi and Ethernet speed comparison - bottom line, use Ethernet if possible

Wired wins every time if your box is up to the task.  I had a router that turned out to be a bottleneck with gig ports topping out at 250M.  Anyway... If you own your router you can tweak the settings to improve things a bit.  Managing the channels with a manual setting will net you better wifi speeds.  I can speedtest over wifi up to 500-550M on 5Ghz.  I'm waiting on a couple of wifi cards that should put that up to the line speed around 950M though.  100M speeds shouldn't be an issue unless your router is out of date or you're running G/N instead of AC.