Community Forum

250 mbps internet and the 8 channel router....

New Poster

250 mbps internet and the 8 channel router....

Hello,

I have a ARRIS SBG6580-2 router/modem combo. On the Xfinity My Devices page, it specifically says that this router IS compatible with the 250 mbps speed plan which I am on.

However, I have never gotten higher than 91 mbps, using the Comcast speed test, ethernet connection, and testing during an off-peak time.

I have seen multiple forum posts on here saying you need a minimum 16 channel router, but the My Devices page says my current router should work and even lists it as having 8 channels. I know that as per Arris, this router should support speeds upto the mid 300s.

I have looked into updating the firmware but as the cable companies control the firmware updates as per Arris there wasn't anything I can do.

Any advice?

Thanks very much

Gold Problem Solver

Re: 250 mbps internet and the 8 channel router....

@covance wrote: ... SBG6580-2 ... 250 mbps speed plan ... never gotten higher than 91 mbps, using the Comcast speed test, ethernet connection ...

Does the device you are measuring with have a Gigabit Ethernet port? If it's only a 10/100 port, or it's improperly configured, or your Ethernet cable is faulty, your speed test results might max out around 90 Mbps. If have a switch or other hardware between the 6580 and your computer, that needs to be Gigabit rated as well.

... per Arris, this router should support speeds upto the mid 300s. ...

Comcast rates the SBG6580-2 at 277Mbps (see https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sbg6580-2-533) so it should be OK for your 250Mbps speed tier, but Arris' claim of "mid 300s" is a theoretical number your'll never see in the real world.

New Poster

Thanks very much for your reply! I will have to check on the ethernet port type and get back to you.

On my Apple iPhone Xs (the newest device I have, so I figure the best to test Wifi speeds from a capability perspective) I am hitting 54.7 mbps download in the same room as the router during off-peak hours. Is that the max WiFi output regardless of speed tier?

New Poster

You were right on the money Bruce. Issue was no gigabit ethernet port.

I downloaded a speed test app onto a newer Apple TV that had the port, and reached speeds above 150 mbps.

Hopefully this adds another data point for people who think only the 16 channel routers will work with the 250 speed tier.

Gold Problem Solver

@covance wrote: ... Issue was no gigabit ethernet port. ...

Glad to help. I can't answer your question about max Wifi speeds for your devices as there are just too many variables.

Expert

@covance wrote:

You were right on the money Bruce. Issue was no gigabit ethernet port.

I downloaded a speed test app onto a newer Apple TV that had the port, and reached speeds above 150 mbps.

Hopefully this adds another data point for people who think only the 16 channel routers will work with the 250 speed tier.

Nobody said that an 8x4 gateway like yours wouldn't work, but your gateway is bottlenecking your speed. 150 Mbps is just about what I'd expect. 

If you had a 16x4 modem, you'd be hitting close to 300 Mbps download speeds over ethernet, with overprovisioning.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!