Community Forum

2019 Samsung smart TV not connecting to Xfinity WIFI

New Poster

2019 Samsung smart TV not connecting to Xfinity WIFI

We just bought a new Samsung UDH 4K TV 7 series RU710D. We have standard in home WIFI (not xFi) and use the router provided by comcast (it's probably 1-2 years old). We bought the new TV yesterday and the set up process went fine. It connected to the WIFI and we were able to use the TV's smart features (ie. Netflix, Prime Video etc). However, after turning the TV off and then on again, the connection to WIFI was lost. We reset the network settings on the TV, "forgot" the network and re-joined, re-entered the WIFI password, and it still will not connect. The only way it will connect to the WIFI is if we do a hard rest of the router. We spoke to tech support at Samsung for about 20 minutes. He manually entered a DNS sever number and changed some settings on the TV, but with no luck. He said the issue is that the TV is being blocked by the router and thus cannot connect to WIFI. He recommended we call our ISP, which is Xfinity. A tech support agent was not very helpful and reset the modem, but we still cannot connect. Using the information from our Xfinity account online, we entered our IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS server manually in the TV's network settings. This still did not work. All these numbers just zero out. The only number that remains is the TV's MAC address. Through online reading, it seems that the issue is that the router is blocking the TV's MAC address, thus preventing us from connecting. I've read some of the following work-arounds 1.) changing the name and channel numbers of the 5Ghz and 2.5Ghz modes, 2.) using sites online to remove MAC filtering and 3.) buying our own router. Is there not a simple solution?

Has anyone else had this same problem? We are at our wits end and don't know what to do. I don't understand how such sophisticated equipment and internet can have such a major issue with something as simple as connecting to a WIFI network. Our phones, computers and speakers are all connected fine. We challenged the TV by connecting to a mobile hotstop on my iPhone and it worked, so I know it's not an issue with the TV. Thus it has to be an issue with our WIFI and router, and not allowing the TV to connect. 

Please help, sincerely an exhausted Xfinity/Samsung customer. 

New Poster

Re: 2019 Samsung smart TV not connecting to Xfinity WIFI

Having exact same issue , please help
Silver Problem Solver

One thing you can do is check what the SSID/password is:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hi there, cwkoontz. 

Have you tried factory resetting the modem? 

Hard reset the access point by using a small object (paper clip or pin) to hold in the reset button on the back of the access point. Hold the reset button for 30 seconds until all the LED lights power off and wait two minutes.

It should be a small hole towards the back of the modem. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello, cwkoontz. 

Did you have any other questions for me before I close out your post? I wanted to make sure you are all set! 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!