Community Forum

20 meg Wifi, 950 meg wired

New Poster

20 meg Wifi, 950 meg wired

Hey everyone, need some help as no technicans seem to be able to help. I have had my router changed out 3 times but still same issue. If I am wired I get around 950 mbps however on WIFI its around 20 mbps. I have tried this on 4 different computers and 2 TVs all around the house and its the same. 

For some reason the modem does not have a model number on it but it is the one below.  Like I said it has been changed out multiple times already. If I should buy my own roiter then please list a good one that is easy to setup and compatible that is under $200. Thanks for any help! 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/MoEkz20tWBlT-K-YBnfnTx8D_v4DXQCdu-RuLiyPN9zJpG341euiBfXs9ah3yls7Fb...

HOW5220_09262018_01.png

New Poster

Re: 20 meg Wifi, 950 meg wired

BTW, I have read the links about not putting the router by a fish tank and other silly suggestions. I also have tried just the 5mgz and 2.4 and neither makes a difference. 

I can be standing right next to my router which sits by itself and still only get 20 megs. 

New Poster

The box is the router. Only one router like it. 

Has anyone switched from the comcast router to their own and see improved speeds?  

Silver Problem Solver

@hallsofvalhalla wrote:

The box is the router. Only one router like it. 

Has anyone switched from the comcast router to their own and see improved speeds?  

That is the XB6 I have one).  I improved my wifi speeds by installing the Orbi:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/wifi-system/view

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

But my PC is 2 feet from the router. 

Frequent Visitor

I just got that same gateway, i have 400Mps service and i get 500 Mps on wifi, i setup all my wifi options manuelly, i am useing the 5g wifi band, i manuelly set the channel to the one i want to use, i tried differnt ones until i got the best speed, i also set the bandwith to the one that works the best for me, i tried the auto configuration but it didnt work for me i got slower speeds, i dont know if it makes a differnce but my computers all Linux operating systems, but i get the same speeds on my ipad and iphone. Its time consuming to figure it out but end result is worth it.

New Poster

Why did my post get deleted? The tech DID ask me to pirate some movies for him. Instead of deleting my post won't you ask me personally what happened.